Office Online issues under Linux....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulletDust

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's an interesting one.

Run Office Online under Chrome on Linux and it's not only stupidly slow most of the time it crashes. Run Office online on Windows under Chrome and it runs fine.

Download and install User Agent Switcher under Chrome and select Chrome (Windows) and all of a sudden Office Online runs fast and never crashes under Linux, time and time again....

....Coincidence?

Last edited:
Microsoft makes their programs run faster on their other programs? WHAT!??!?!?! :rolleyes:

Wait...this isn't just OneDrive that has this problem?

Doesn't appear to be. As you can see by my files, I don't use Office online, it's more of an experiment to see how feasible the product is for certain clients I convert to Linux and I've been noticing this issue for quite some time now. Now that I've worked out why Office online is crashing the product is actually quite good, but there's no excuse for whats obviously a deliberate attempt to sabotage the product under Linux.

Microsoft makes their programs run faster on their other programs? WHAT!??!?!?! :rolleyes:

It's not just the speed that's the issue, the product is downright flaky as hell under Linux for no good reason. Web browsers are a fairly open platform and one of the ideas of shifting to web based products is so they run on anything, such a deliberate attempt such as this to sabotage Office under Linux is not only underhanded, but in my opinion downright childish - However being Microsoft it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Last edited:
NO SHIT ms products don't work right on competing OSs/software!
why are you trying to convert ppl to Linux then tell them to use ms product in a non-ms environment?! that's just asking for issues like this.
this and the one drive "issue" make my head hurt....

Run Office Online under Chrome on Linux and it's not only stupidly slow most of the time it crashes. Run Office online on Windows under Chrome and it runs fine.

Download and install User Agent Switcher under Chrome and select Chrome (Windows) and all of a sudden Office Online runs fast and never crashes under Linux, time and time again....

....Coincidence? ...

It kind of sounds to me that Chrome might be the problem? Just a thought.

NO SHIT ms products don't work right on competing OSs/software!
why are you trying to convert ppl to Linux then tell them to use ms product in a non-ms environment?! that's just asking for issues like this.
this and the one drive "issue" make my head hurt....

The 'software' is opening in a web browser, an open platform and there is no issue aside from the user agent code identifying the machine. There are a number of people that benefit from the use of Linux due to their inability to avoid viruses and malware under Windows, it is a very real, very large issue that exists for the masses running Windows.

It kind of sounds to me that Chrome might be the problem? Just a thought.

You get the same issue under Firefox and the suite runs fine on Chrome as soon as the user agent is switched to Chrome under Windows, furthermore the suite runs fine on a Windows machine running Chrome.

Last edited:
its still using a Microsoft product on a Microsoft page yet you expect it to work from a different os/browser that it was not designed for. give them open office or whatever is actually designed to work on Linux.

its still using a Microsoft product on a Microsoft page yet you expect it to work from a different os/browser that it was not designed for. give them open office or whatever is actually designed to work on Linux.

A browser/OS it was not designed for?! Have you got a link highlighting this fact? A link that wasn't the one provided by MS themselves that highlights that installable MS Office suites must run under Windows? Which was quite humorous.

I'm sorry, but it's blatantly obvious there is absolutely no compatibility issue here, the problem is isolated purely to the fact that the online suite has been designed to detect when it's running on a Linux system and as a result act as flaky as possible on a Linux system. You can't argue this, so why try?

Here's an interesting one.

....Coincidence?

Interesting, I have been using Office365 for some time on both Ubuntu and straight Debian installs and not noticed much of a problem. Actually they both work much faster than at work on the Windows 7 box. I will have to try some more tests at home now.

A browser/OS it was not designed for?! Have you got a link highlighting this fact? A link that wasn't the one provided by MS themselves that highlights that installable MS Office suites must run under Windows? Which was quite humorous.

I'm sorry, but it's blatantly obvious there is absolutely no compatibility issue here, the problem is isolated purely to the fact that the online suite has been designed to detect when it's running on a Linux system and as a result act as flaky as possible on a Linux system. You can't argue this, so why try?

Actually that can be argued. Where is your proof that it was designed to detect when it's running on a Linux system and as a result act as flaky as possible? I have seen zero evidence of that with my Linux systems.

Are you using a 64-bit or 32-bit browser? Have you looked at this MS page? Hope this helps.

There is no 32 bit version of Chrome anymore, the online application works fine on an identical 64 bit version of Chrome under Windows.

Actually that can be argued. Where is your proof that it was designed to detect when it's running on a Linux system and as a result act as flaky as possible? I have seen zero evidence of that with my Linux systems.

As seen in the video, when running Chrome in it's default state with the user agent identifying the system as a Linux based system under Chrome the online application takes an age to load and finally hangs, as soon as the user agent is modified to identify the system as a Windows system running Chrome everything runs as intended. That's evidence of something, how you want to interpret that evidence is up to you.

When I get time I'll try it on my virtual Ubuntu Gnome install to see if it's OS isolated, but I doubt it is, it happens on every Ubuntu MATE machine I have here.

After doing just a few minutes of searching, perhaps it is related to this issue, which lead to this, but by all means get out the pitchforks and accuse Microsoft of singling out Linux...and older Windows versions.

You can however laugh at their lazy coding.

I'm not interested in pitchforks at all. I thought it was an interesting, if not a little underhanded observation. On the contrary it appears to be the Windows crowd ready with pitchforks...

I'm not interested in pitchforks at all. I thought it was an interesting, if not a little underhanded observation. On the contrary it appears to be the Windows crowd ready with pitchforks...
"... Windows crowd ..."? NoOther says:

"Interesting, I have been using Office365 for some time on both Ubuntu and straight Debian installs and not noticed much of a problem. Actually they both work much faster than at work on the Windows 7 box. I will have to try some more tests at home now."

Sounds to me like he is, at least, a part-time Linux user.

"Interesting, I have been using Office365 for some time on both Ubuntu and straight Debian installs and not noticed much of a problem. Actually they both work much faster than at work on the Windows 7 box. I will have to try some more tests at home now."

I didn't specifically mention his name though, did I?

If you use Windows, participate in the thread in an open, mature fashion - Which may involve the possibility, no matter how slight, that this is a deliberate ploy on behalf of Microsoft. Or go away and post in the Windows forums or one of the many other forums on [H].

I am tired of every thread where there is even the slightest possibility of Linux vs Windows, turning into an online battlefield with people reiterating the same rubbish that's been discussed to death time and time before.

I didn't specifically mention his name though, did I?

If you use Windows, participate in the thread in an open, mature fashion - Which may involve the possibility, no matter how slight, that this is a deliberate ploy on behalf of Microsoft. Or go away and post in the Windows forums or one of the many other forums on [H].

I am tired of every thread where there is even the slightest possibility of Linux vs Windows, turning into an online battlefield with people reiterating the same rubbish that's been discussed to death time and time before.
Man up BulletDust, at the time you posted that response of yours I quoted NoOther was the one person to have made reference to "pitchforks" in this thread.

Man up BulletDust, at the time you posted that response of yours I quoted NoOther was the one person to have made reference to "pitchforks" in this thread.

Come at me then. I'm ready, pitchfork in hand!

What a sombre looking couple....

5LLIJgX.jpg

More like Microsoft is resorting back to it's unfair business practices by intentionally crippleing their software on competitive platforms. Abuse of dominant market position and hopefully a cause for a law suit.

To be clear, I am full-time Linux user, but I also don't limit myself to just knowing or understanding one operating system. I also have enough experience not to jump to conclusions when certain products don't quite work the way they are supposed to in another environment, even when they are web apps. And my comments came after I spent a mere five minutes googling, found people having almost the exact same issue, and the issue was resolved with a day of them posting about it. The exact reason for the bug was even divulged by a Microsoft Developer. To be sure, it was fairly shitty code, but not specifically targeted against any OS.

More like Microsoft is resorting back to it's unfair business practices by intentionally crippleing their software on competitive platforms. Abuse of dominant market position and hopefully a cause for a law suit.

Except you were the one that jumped to conclusions right off the bat. You guys didn't even bother to follow the links did you? The comment about the pitchforks is right out of those links because many people jumped straight to the same conclusion you did (then followed a pretty funny diatribe about pitchforks). However, a Microsoft developer saw the posts, went and checked the code and fixed the issue. He even explained what the issue was and it had nothing really to do with Linux specifically, it had to do with bad coding to start with. They then fixed the issue.

Last edited:
o be clear, I am full-time Linux user, but I also don't limit myself to just knowing or understanding one operating system. I also have enough experience not to jump to conclusions when certain products don't quite work the way they are supposed to in another environment, even when they are web apps. And my comments came after I spent a mere five minutes googling, found people having almost the exact same issue, and the issue was resolved with a day of them posting about it. The exact reason for the bug was even divulged by a Microsoft Developer. To be sure, it was fairly shitty code, but not specifically targeted against any OS.

Microsoft claim it's resolved, I can assure you as seen in my video, it's not resolved.

It's a bit hard to claim shitty code when one line resolves the entire issue.

Microsoft claim it's resolved, I can assure you as seen in my video, it's not resolved. ...

The Microsoft representative said, "... The issue was resolved as of Tue, March 22nd 3pm PST. ... The prefetching optimization was disabled, and it will be enabled again soon after an update for StaticLoad.aspx has been tested on Linux and released. ..."

I think testing an update before releasing it is a prudent thing to do.

The Microsoft representative said, "... The issue was resolved as of Tue, March 22nd 3pm PST. ... The prefetching optimization was disabled, and it will be enabled again soon after an update for StaticLoad.aspx has been tested on Linux and released. ..."

I think testing an update before releasing it is a prudent thing to do.

It's defiantly not resolved, others have noticed it's not resolved also. Nothing has changed as far as I can see.

"... The prefetching optimization was disabled, and it will be enabled again soon after an update for StaticLoad.aspx has been tested on Linux and released. ..." I think this answers your point.

"... The prefetching optimization was disabled, and it will be enabled again soon after an update for StaticLoad.aspx has been tested on Linux and released. ..." I think this answers your point.

It's good that they're doing something about it, I'm still hesitant to believe it was simply a 'mistake' however as it's been a problem since forever so i fail to see how the issue could be related to a specific optimisation that, by the sounds of that statement, was recently disabled.

Yes, the coding for Linux was bad. They have written new coding that they are going to test to be sure it fixes the prefetch problem for Linux. When that testing is completed and the patch has been verified to work properly it will be released and Linux should no longer experience the problem. That's what I believe the statement means.

Yes, the coding for Linux was bad. They have written new coding that they are going to test to be sure it fixes the prefetch problem for Linux. When that testing is completed and the patch has been verified to work properly it will be released and Linux should no longer experience the problem. That's what I believe the statement means.

What you mean they fired the guy who relied on the too obvious browser id to implement the bomb and are urgently recoding to better mask the OS detection...

It's defiantly not resolved, others have noticed it's not resolved also. Nothing has changed as far as I can see.

Maybe not resolved for your singular instance, but I have tried it on 5 distros now. Current Debian stable, current Ubuntu LTS, current Linux Mint, current CENTOS, and current Fedora. No issues on any of them. In fact it opens faster than on my windows boxes in most cases. I have not had to use any user-agent changes either.

I have yet to try MATE, I am currently downloading MATE for Ubuntu and Mint and will give it a try as well.

What you mean they fired the guy who relied on the too obvious browser id to implement the bomb and are urgently recoding to better mask the OS detection...

See above. Stop posting FUD when you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Maybe not resolved for your singular instance, but I have tried it on 5 distros now. Current Debian stable, current Ubuntu LTS, current Linux Mint, current CENTOS, and current Fedora. No issues on any of them. In fact it opens faster than on my windows boxes in most cases. I have not had to use any user-agent changes either.

I have yet to try MATE, I am currently downloading MATE for Ubuntu and Mint and will give it a try as well.

Which is very interesting, but I'm not the only one complaining that it's not resolved....

See above. Stop posting FUD when you don't know what you are talking about.

B00nie's post holds as much merit as your own, if not more. We are talking about a company here that has deliberately sabotaged their software before, they still do it with Office and the open .docx standards to this very day.

I personally think it would be very naive to rule out malicious intent in this scenario, especially with all the 'mistakes' surrounding the forced update to Windows 10.

B00nie's post holds as much merit as your own, if not more. We are talking about a company here that has deliberately sabotaged their software before, they still do it with Office and the open .docx standards to this very day.

I personally think it would be very naive to rule out malicious intent in this scenario, especially with all the 'mistakes' surrounding the forced update to Windows 10.

How? He hasn't done a thing but make accusations with no testing, no information, nothing. So no, it absolutely holds no merit. Neither does yours. The fact that it works on soo many different linux distros without an issue speaks against your theory that there was purposeful intent to hurt Linux.

Which is very interesting, but I'm not the only one complaining that it's not resolved....

Just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04. Zero issues using Office Online. Zero configuration done other than installing MATE, installing Chrome, and logging into Microsoft Online.

Just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04. Zero issues using Office Online. Zero configuration done other than installing MATE, installing Chrome, and logging into Microsoft Online.

I just fired up my VM of Ubuntu Gnome and the issue does appear to be resolved under both Ubuntu Gnome and Ubuntu MATE.

How? He hasn't done a thing but make accusations with no testing, no information, nothing. So no, it absolutely holds no merit. Neither does yours. The fact that it works on soo many different linux distros without an issue speaks against your theory that there was purposeful intent to hurt Linux.

For that matter, your opinion holds no merit either....

The word of Microsoft has meant little in the past and it means little now. They are a ruthless company and I see little reason to completely rule out the possibility of foul play here, especially considering the obvious problems facing the worlds least compatible Office suite and open standards.

I just fired up my VM of Ubuntu Gnome and the issue does appear to be resolved under both Ubuntu Gnome and Ubuntu MATE.

For that matter, your opinion holds no merit either....

The word of Microsoft has meant little in the past and it means little now. They are a ruthless company and I see little reason to completely rule out the possibility of foul play here, especially considering the obvious problems facing the worlds least compatible Office suite and open standards.

Lol, except I both tested it with far more distros than you, and found all the relevant information regarding the problem. So I would say my "opinion" is really the only one that was valid here.

And your continued arguing just shows you really are out with pitchforks.

The least compatible office suite...right. Even though you can import most other office suites and you can save to many compatible formats. Also you can install it on multiple platforms, or you can use the online version. Obviously such a ruthless and evil company to give people so many options...

then why are you trying so desperately to use it if ms is so evil? go get whatever you believe is more compatible and give it a rest with the ms hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back