Office NAS Suggestions

infect0

[H]ard|Gawd
This was setup before my time but office is currently using JungleDisk to connect S3 buckets as a make-shift fileserver.

I hate it, its miserable and JungleDisk has compatibility issues with a number of machines. Trying to find a local NAS box that will fit the role for a small office, currently 15 people, maybe 25 within the next year. There are only a couple of us that ever hit the box with 100+mb files. The rest is all light use. The one issue which causes me so much pain, it must be encrypted.

I know there are some QNAP models that offer volume encryption but with the Atom processor it slows the transfer down to ~15MB/s. Looking for a solution sub $1-2,000.

Any suggestions?

build your own ?

freenas, few drives ?

I am hesitant to build my own only because I do not want to be responsible for it but its not something I am unwilling to do.

The only problem with freenas is the encryption requirement. Would be stuck with freenas7. Not that anything is wrong with that but i dont want to waste my time learning to setup encryption on freenas. Ideally something that is fairly plug-in-play.

I am hesitant to build my own only because I do not want to be responsible for it but its not something I am unwilling to do.

The only problem with freenas is the encryption requirement. Would be stuck with freenas7. Not that anything is wrong with that but i dont want to waste my time learning to setup encryption on freenas. Ideally something that is fairly plug-in-play.

perfect NAS-OS with encryption (and ZFS, data-protection,snaps,..) = Solaris 11

For Office use, you need a subscription (with support, not free)
For easyness, you can use napp-it (free WebGui)

Back