Office / HTPC Hybrid Rig Woes

Tosicc

Limp Gawd
I recently converted a nook in my studio into a double desk setup with all the goodies but I'm having some issues that are spoiling all the fun.

The setup:
i7-6700k Skylake 4.0
32gb DDR4
500gb Samsung Evo 840 SSD
R9 Fury

powering
2x 24" Dell U2412 IPS (1920x1200, displayport to displayport)
1x 65" 4k Toshiba Model:65L621U (4096 x 2160, HDMI to HDMI) --
Windows display settings: Multiple displays -> "extend desktop" mode
All drivers up to date and the overall build is solid and stable

1. First problem has to do with application scaling/Windows 10? All applications look like crap on the 65" -- they are huge and I've played around with all the settings I can find in Windows and nothing seems to fix it. The only work around is zooming in Chrome but that is hardly a perfect solution

Spotify, or any program, will not get any smaller than shown below when displayed on the 65":
    65scaling.png

2. Next issue I was having a slight audio delay issue when playing an .avi standard 700mb movie and some mouse lag.. Switching to HDMI Mode 2 (from 30 to 60hz) in the Toshiba TV display settings seemed to fix those issues for the most part. But then I tried a 60gb bluray .mkv file, playing fullscreen in VLC with K-Lite codecs..... And it is broken up / unwatchable -- laggy and grey/grainy static that comes in spurts. Is the R9 not enough to play 4k smoothly? I tested the bluray on both the 24" & 65" and it is also not able to play it smoothly.

Any suggestions are welcomed... kinda bumming me out! Thanks in advance.

WORK IN PROGRESS v v v
setup.png

Last edited:
Switching to DivX player is giving me smooth 4k playback... is VLC not the standard these days?

Still curious about the scaling... Pretty obnoxious that Spotify takes up 50% of the 65" screen real estate.

Try eliminating the other two monitors and using the 65 as a solo monitor. It could be something with the scaling while using multiple displays with different resolutions?

I don't have a solution if it is, but at least we will know the cause.

Some people say scaling in Win10 is fine others say it is crap, I can't find a clear answer either.

the scaling in windows 10 is a hot elffin mess. It's awful on 4k tv's.

Back