Office build recommendations

hiodie

Gawd
Building a PC at my job and I'm looking for any recommendations or changes. Haven't done much in the ITX area, so I'm not familiar with the best coolers and could use recommendations. Use will be ~90% web browsing/office and <10% CAD (Solidworks).

Motherboard: Asrock Z87E-ITX - CPU placement looks solid and has MSATA slot
CPU: Intel 4670K
Memory: 16GB most likely, either Crucial Ballistic Sport Low Profile or G.skill Ripjaws (combo deal)
Case: Antec ISK 310-150 - Prefer book form to cube, would really prefer DC-DC PSU
HDD: 240 GB Crucial M500 - most likely MSATA version
Cooler: need recommendations for what fits
Win7 Pro (if matters)

Monitor: Currently looking at 27" Qnix Evolution II True and connecting through DP. Other option will be 2 1080P monitors

Price is somewhat flexible, but I'm trying to keep everything around $1200-1300. Current build is around $1175 for everything listed.

Unsure if I will actually overclock, but I will most do what I can without significantly raising the voltage, so maybe 4.5 GHz...

I'd go for the low profile RAM.

Do you need the optical drive slot? For DC-DC with no graphics card, look at the ISK 110 VESA. The PSU should be enough for stock clocked Intel quad.

Stock clocks? Stock cooler.

Overclocked? Well, the ISK 110 VESA can't fit a much bigger cooler so even aftermarket, you'd be limited. Maybe something like the Scythe Kozuti, which I think is better than stock, but not even in the same league as a cheap $20 tower heatpipe cooler.

I think the ISK 310-150 can fit a slightly taller cooler but you may have to mod it by cutting the insulation off the power plug internal cable and re-routing it, plus leaving out the drive bay rack since you're going mSATA. If you populate the second fan slot on top, you will probably have enough airflow through it to use a non-tower style heatpipe cooler without the fan installed. Maybe something like the Cooler Master Vortex Plus, with the fan removed and the heatsink oriented so the fins are open towards the case fans. It might just work.

EDIT: I own an ISK 300-150 with an ASRock Z87E-ITX board currently in it, and I did some rough measurements.

With one mod, the Cooler Master Vortex Plus will fit (58.5mm tall according to Cooler Master). I believe there is around 65mm (or a hair more) clearance with this mod. The "mod" is to cut away the top support for the drive tray. You would then orient the heatsink so the curved parts of the heatpipes face the RAM. This works for two reasons.

One is that the base of the heatsink is not centered under the heatsink, but is offset. This puts the main part of the heatsink away from the drive bays.

Two is that the heatsink fins run perpendicular to the heatpipes, so the airflow through the case (with two 80mm fans populated) would assist with cooling.

I'm 95% sure it will fit with this mod and will not impact any drive bays.

Last edited:
Back