Office 365 Subscribers Now Get Unlimited Cloud Storage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft has added unlimited One Drive cloud storage for Office 365 subscribers. Not a bad deal if you were on the fence or planning to get Office 365 anyway.

Today, storage limits just became a thing of the past with Office 365. Moving forward, all Office 365 customers will get unlimited OneDrive storage at no additional cost. We’ve started rolling this out today to Office 365 Home, Personal, and University customers. The roll out will continue over the coming months, so if you want to be one of the very first to get more storage, go here to put yourself at the front of the line.

Cloud storage has so far proven worthless to me because most mobile apps can't even read the files directly.

Unlimited... until you actually try to use it in such a fashion, at which point you'll be considered an outlier and abusing the system and have your account terminated. This has all happened before, but companies just can't seem to resist using the UNLIMITED buzzword.

Cloud paranoia aside, Full Office on multiple devices and unlimited storage for as little as $7 a month, it's hard to argue against that. And it almost certainly means that Google, DropBox, etc will have to follow suit.

When this all started out cloud storage was kind of on the pricy side, now it's essentially becoming free.

Unlimited... until you actually try to use it in such a fashion, at which point you'll be considered an outlier and abusing the system and have your account terminated. This has all happened before, but companies just can't seem to resist using the UNLIMITED buzzword.

Considering it is being bumped to 10TB in the meantime, I don't think there will be any problems.

Cloud paranoia aside, Full Office on multiple devices and unlimited storage for as little as $7 a month, it's hard to argue against that. And it almost certainly means that Google, DropBox, etc will have to follow suit.

When this all started out cloud storage was kind of on the pricy side, now it's essentially becoming free.

Yes. I have the $10 one and my wife, mom and grandparents get an install plus the storage benefits. Awesome deal.

Full Office itself is worth it. Add in the OneDrive stuff, and it's even more attractive.

We have it at work, and I have it for home (got it for free). It's an excellent service. I don't mind paying for it. I get a good value from it.

This is completely opposite how I was when O365 first launched. Screw the subscription model. I don't want my files in the cloud out of my control. Insert more excuses here. I love cloud services these days. Saved my ass a few times. (backups, file availability, Office on the road, etc..).

Well, I sorta prefer if someone is charging moolah for it since that usually means they're not looking for some more Google-ish means of making money from the people using their service. Microsoft has a really good price point for Office and the storage part makes it even better. I won't be using it personally since there's nothing at all I wanna store online and LibreOffice is good enough for everything I need to do with an office suite, but still, it's nice to see the service improvements.

I won't be using it personally since there's nothing at all I wanna store online and LibreOffice is good enough for everything I need to do with an office suite, but still, it's nice to see the service improvements.

Something like LibreOffice is fine for personal use if it gets the job done. But in the professional world Office rules the roost as much as ever. For all of Microsoft mistakes in mobile and other areas, they just have done that with Office, even as much as some still complain about the Ribbon, the Ribbon was accepted for the vast majority of folks really without incident and they world moved on. And even it one hates the cloud and Office, as you point out, you can't really go full anti-Microsoft when they keep lowering the price and offering more service.

Considering it is being bumped to 10TB in the meantime, I don't think there will be any problems.

I occasionally get asked by management if we should be backing up to the "cloud".

10 Tb would still not enough to backup all the servers in the office (let allow the workstations)

Even with my current 30Mbit upload speed, it would take over 2 months to create the 1st backup copy. Even the weekly changes would take several days.

Maybe if I could get a full Gbit connection to the internet it might be doable :)

To access the preview:

Signing in with your Microsoft account will automatically sign you in to this app.
wl-basic.png

View your profile info and contact list OneDrive Preview will be able to see your profile info, including your name, gender, display picture, contacts, and friends.

wl-emails.png

Access your email addresses OneDrive Preview will be able to see the email addresses in your profile.

wl-skydrive.png

View your OneDrive photos and documents OneDrive Preview will be able to see your photos and documents on OneDrive, but can't make changes to them.

I have been using Ondrive for a long time since its inception and I love the integration with office suite. Its amazing and has been invaluable to me. I have 230gbs on onedrive until 2016 which currently with all my files and onenote notebooks I only use up 2gbs of it. I have access to free office 365 sub and I would almost use this if I could find enough stuff to store on it.

Holy God I didn't realize how much of OneDrive I use. I automatically push stuff to it, the integration in Win8 is so seamless I forgot where to go on win 7!

Holy God I didn't realize how much of OneDrive I use. I automatically push stuff to it, the integration in Win8 is so seamless I forgot where to go on win 7!

I know, it's kinda scary to see how much stuff gets automatically put out there! I really hope MS doesn't go into Google-creep-perv mode and start sifting through people's stuff who are syncing data pretty much unknowingly because they use Win8.x and Office 2013/365. :eek:

Back