Office 2013 Install

awesomo

Gawd
Office 2013 Home and Business, both retail and OEM give you a freaking envelope with a code inside. You need to make a microsoft account and have them stream the installer.

Here's the issues I have with this.

A. They max the limit at FIVE computers per account
B. Install takes WAY longer than it did with a disk and often crashes requiring a complete forced uninstall.
C. I can't tell which license is which on the my accounts page without jumping through hoops to see the fricken product number.
D. Microsoft charges MORE for a volume license agreement to avoid this shit.
E. When I burn a disk, it asks for a key, but still makes me create an account

I just want an MSI, or the built in installer that comes on randomly new Dell laptops (they mostly come with 2010 preinstalled) where I can ENTER THE KEY AND INSTALL THE DAMN SOFTWARE I PAID FOR!

How do you guys handle this? Between Windows 8, all this licensing bullshit, and the Xbox One, Microsoft has really become anti-business and anti-consumer. They have made a shit-ton of bad decisions and I really hope it catches up to them quickly.

On the dells I get, you can find the installation folder in something like programdata\Office15\x86\15.0.4420.1017\office\data (it might be a few more folders in under programdata, I don't have one accesible at the moment, they all get wiped for a new 3rd party SSD)

In there are a bunch of various executables, for home & biz it would be: setuphomebusinessretail.x86.en-us.exe

When you run that, it should give you the option to either sign in to verify, or enter a key code from the card. I've never had to setup an account or stream the install, the full package is there.

Welcome to the future of Microsoft Office. They much prefer the subscription/streaming model. Just look at what they did with XBone.

On the dells I get, you can find the installation folder in something like programdata\Office15\x86\15.0.4420.1017\office\data (it might be a few more folders in under programdata, I don't have one accesible at the moment, they all get wiped for a new 3rd party SSD)

In there are a bunch of various executables, for home & biz it would be: setuphomebusinessretail.x86.en-us.exe

When you run that, it should give you the option to either sign in to verify, or enter a key code from the card. I've never had to setup an account or stream the install, the full package is there.

This is an awesome tip. I went digging a while back and didn't come across that. As I said, a few of the Dells I have purchased installed fine without the creation of an account because of the preinstall included. But a lot of the laptops I have purchased in the last few weeks have all had the Microsoft office 2010 installer... Forcing me to stream install. This whole ordeal is ridiculous.

Kind of nice not having to wait for a disk in the mail and being able to use the program before it's 100% downloaded.

Office365 for more than a couple installs. You can download the installer and use it offline- have to be online to register each computer/user.

I really don't understand the rant on licensing- this isn't new.

Office365 for more than a couple installs. You can download the installer and use it offline- have to be online to register each computer/user.

I really don't understand the rant on licensing- this isn't new.

The fact that the stream installer CRASHES and it's a bitch to recover from. Three of the last 10 computers, HP's and Dell's in the last two weeks had the installer hang. The fact that you can only have 5 computers on an account and it is impossible to tell which license is which without diving deep into the page. The Fact that the downloaded "CD IMAGE" Forces you online to login, and doesn't give a crap about what license number you type in, it just recommends licenses on your account, and once again, does not make a distinction which one has been used and which one hasn't.

Yes, It is all new, it's very poorly done, and it's a shame.

It used to take 3 minutes getting a new computer, launch the preinstalled office 2010 setup, type a key in, wait 3 minutes, done. Now it's a bitch and added a good couple of hours to setup on 6 computers yesterday.

You can click the accounts button in the top right corner when you are logged in to the Microsoft account to install office and download the full ISO install and burn it to disc.....

I do not know if each ISO is different as I usually only install one version always.

I think OP just isn't used to the IT world. Managing software online and downloading the ISOs/installers I need is far easier than a stack of CDs and keys.
Not trying to be a dick, but I think OP is doing it wrong if he is having so much trouble. Office 2013 has more deployment options and fewer SKUs than any recent preceding version.

The install from disk option is not available for OEM users, you get screwed even more if you buy oem.

I think OP just isn't used to the IT world. Managing software online and downloading the ISOs/installers I need is far easier than a stack of CDs and keys.
Not trying to be a dick, but I think OP is doing it wrong if he is having so much trouble. Office 2013 has more deployment options and fewer SKUs than any recent preceding version.

I am very used to the IT world. Yes, it is easier to have downloads and keys stored online, I prefer it, and Microsoft actually charges more for volume licensing to give you a non bullshit version of what they offer oems. You all seem to have zero experience dealing with this new system. It is a max of FIVE PER ACCOUNT. You can NOT DISTINGUISH WHICH LICENSE IS WHICH on the web interface. You have to STREAM AN INSTALL vs DOWNLOAD THE INSTALLER. The downloaded .img REQUIRES AN INTERNET CONNECTION to still stream files and REQUIRES a login, then it IGNORES the key you type in and just gives you options from the site WITH NO DISTINCTION IF IT's BEEN USED ON ANOTHER COMPUTER, then to top it off, it doesn't even display what key which option is using so you can't even look at your paper work and know if it was used yet, all you see is Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Business (1) (2) etc...

Really. I am so used to and prefer managing everything online, this new system is just a cluster fuck. I am not looking for "Get used to it", You all have obviously not had any chance to deal with this system on more than your onesie twosie installs. I am not bitching about online management, I am bitching about and looking for a work around for this specific bullshit system, which I may have found from the first response, but I have yet to get a new Dell in front of me to try it.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

There's always OpenOffice. :p

And enterprises use a VL installer and KMS, so they don't deal with this. :D

I'll try and help but before we start, and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the perpetual skus (i.e., Office 2013 Home and Student, Business, and Professional) were all ONE user/computer?) Office 365 for home can have up to FIVE users per account. There is also a commercial version available which is priced per number of clients.

I know it seems daunting trying to understand the new versions of Office but there are reasons why they want to tie an account to the key (i.e., authentication, as well as having access to web based versions when content wants to be accessed remotely.)

So we can help you, can you clarify if you are using the retail version of 2013 of Home and Business or 365?

I upgraded a client from a mix of Office versions to Office 365 SB Premium and I'll completely agree with the OP that it sucks. Out of 8 systems we had 2 that had issues. One was so bad it took around 10 hours over 4 days to troubleshoot and it finally took a system restore to resolve, which was ridiculous. Microsoft's own installer (and fixits) didn't work to resolve the issue at all and kept giving stupid errors like "something went wrong". Well no shit MS :rolleyes:

I've vowed to not touch this gimped crap again until they fix these horrendous issues. If you go into their Office support forums you'll see this is happening to tons of people, so it's not limited to a few installs. Before someone says I don't know IT, I've spent 20 years in IT support. I tried about every trick I could think of before finally giving up and doing a system restore. Even after that, it wouldn't let me install the 64 bit version on a 64 bit OS. Had to install the 32 bit version.

I agree with the OP. I am an Office 365 reseller and fully aware of the licensing and online options, but with 365, you can download an installer to be used on multiple machines and all you need to do is authenticate. That is a good system.

With the OEM versions, I used to be able to preinstall Office for my customers so all they would need to do is accept the EULA and be ready to go. Now I can't even touch the Office install for them, because it needs to be registered to their account before it can even be installed. If we know anything about end users, it's that they can't figure things like this out on their own, so I end up having to hold their hand over the phone to get it done. It's ridiculous, and that's not even considering bandwidth issues with streaming the installer.

I have a hard time believing someone is an IT pro when they recommend the 64-bit version of Office on 64-bit computers- almost no third party tools, and most Microsoft add-ins don't work with the 64-bit versions.
If you are complaining about being limited to 5 installs (users) per credential, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG, period, full stop, underlined, highlighted, shouted, and multiple exclamation marks. Use Retail or VL ISOz (available from TechNet or purchased from Microsoft Licensing) OR use Office365 SB or Enterprise plans to download the install package and deploy as desired.
The only problem I have seen streaming an install of Office365 Home had to do with low bandwidth.

Just because you wouldn't do it this way, or don't like it, does not make it unusable. If you ARE a professional, deal with it: Contact Microsoft/submit feedback, Use something else, Learn the options available to you. If you're NOT a professional: whine, complain, shout, rage, and do nothing constructive.

You can click the accounts button in the top right corner when you are logged in to the Microsoft account to install office and download the full ISO install and burn it to disc.....

I do not know if each ISO is different as I usually only install one version always.

The disk for home and business and pro are different. I miss the oem disks packs they use to have where like 2 or 3 disks could load every version of office.

I just have copies of the home and business and pro disks for 2013. I haven't see where I need to tie them to a ms account yet installing via cd image and key. For domains they do show the domain user in the top though.

And enterprises use a VL installer and KMS, so they don't deal with this. :D

Yea volume licenses are a way around this for bigger installs.

I have a hard time believing someone is an IT pro when they recommend the 64-bit version of Office on 64-bit computers- almost no third party tools, and most Microsoft add-ins don't work with the 64-bit versions.
If you are complaining about being limited to 5 installs (users) per credential, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG, period, full stop, underlined, highlighted, shouted, and multiple exclamation marks. Use Retail or VL ISOz (available from TechNet or purchased from Microsoft Licensing) OR use Office365 SB or Enterprise plans to download the install package and deploy as desired.
The only problem I have seen streaming an install of Office365 Home had to do with low bandwidth.

Just because you wouldn't do it this way, or don't like it, does not make it unusable. If you ARE a professional, deal with it: Contact Microsoft/submit feedback, Use something else, Learn the options available to you. If you're NOT a professional: whine, complain, shout, rage, and do nothing constructive.

Depends. I've see issues with 2010's 32 bit version on 64 bit systems that seemed to go away when you loaded the 64 bit office. Generally I'm ok with the 64bit version as long as the user doesn't use third party addons in office(and most of our users don't). If someone does use 3rd party stuff then yea 32 bit all the way.

For the tiny 8 person office I upgraded, using absolutely no add-ons, loading 64 bit Office was just fine.

Glad you haven't run into any problems, but if you've been to the MS support forums you'd notice you've been lucky. I'm sure MS will mature the process, but for right now it's pretty ridiculous. Error messages like "something went wrong" are embarrassingly unprofessional and not much use when trying to troubleshoot an issue.

I agree with OP, Office 2013 OEM installs are way more painful than they should be. They are pushing their subscription model too hard IMO and it's a PITA.

I usually activate the product under the end-users email account and document it with the sites change management paperwork... logging the SN from the packaging, activation key, end-user email address used to activate the product, and the password created when setting up the end-user account.

Back