office 2007 still only uses 50% cpu on dual core... wtf?

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
i wrote about this about 9 months ago... and still office access when exporting queries or doing anything, never can go past 50% cpu power on a dualcore chip... intel

come on microsoft! you promote the shit as having multicore capabilities... but 50% cap is a joke. anyone have a fix for this?

Are you on a notebook? Check your CPU power settings. If it's vista (I'm guessing) there is a setting in the advanced for balanced.

Let us know.

So why is this a problem? When you open your task manager and you see 50% CPU Usage are looking at both of the cores. So when the process is running on one of the cores the other core isn't doing anything. There isn't some type of "cap" as you speak of in the software.

come on... they brag about multicore optimization support... but it only uses 1 core... it wont use both... this is in winxp...

so 50% of my computer is doing nothing... thats the problem. why not use both cores together like many other applications?

why is this a problem? well it doubles the time of processing since its using 50% of overall cpu power... letting one core always idle.

now...

using this logic. you are trying to do something in access... using 50% core power.. cool!

now you want to open excel... right... that should use the second core for 50% power right?!?!?! logically? like every other app out there... nope it does not. instead... it waits until the access file finishes opening... and then it starts excel. it never touches the second core or 50%

I'm trying to find out the cause of this problem... I wonder if this is a Office 2007 & Windows XP problem?

In our environment, we have users that do heavy excel calculations. After upgrading them to Office 2007, they complain their calculations are taking longer.

I noticed the exact same problem as you described, 50% cpu only, under performance only 1 core is fully used. I tried setting cpu affinity and priority, makes no difference.

The workbook is still a 2003 workbook and cannot be converted to 2007 workbook just yet.

What have you noticed?

thats basically the same scenerio.

although i use office 2007 most of my files are office 2003 based... and they sure do take longer!

whats very odd... is if access is opening taking 50% cpu... and you double click excel... with 50% free cpu power... it will wait until access is done... it wont even attempt using the other 50%.

ive tried their setting, then the manual setting... no difference

i dont know how they get away with advertising it as multicore/threading when it sucks worse than older versions lol.

hmm...

any other ideas? this is kind of retarded of microsoft...

anyone know of a direct bug report email form or address for microsoft that doesnt involve paying $100?

any new ideas? there is like 0 ways of contacting microsoft without paying... although i submitted a bug report a few months back i got no reply and no update lol... but htey continue to prag that its multicore/cpu optimized... when it is not (well unless you count a 50% cap optimized)\

is this only an intel 2-core problem... ?

Are you on a laptop? I read an article awhile back that said that Vista was capping at 50% cpu usage for dual cores because of the power settings.. going to Power in the control panel and setting it to High Performance fixed it..

winxp pc... not laptop:(

thats a good tip though for other users thanks for posting.

i updated the intel drivers from hp (not intel this time)... and then the bios... it seems to now let two seperate instances cap at 50% rather than one instance.

in the past, if i opened up access with db1 and db2 really fast... msaccess would launch once, and cap at 50%

today it launched twice and capped at 50%

however using only one database at a time, it still capped at 50!

Back