Office 2007 Question: Outlook

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
So I'm sending a mass email. So instead of addressing everyone the same, is there a way to make Outlook look at the name of the person I have in my contact list and insert that name.

So instead of:

Dear [H]ardmembers, (for example)

It would read

Dear [BB] Rick James,

I think it depends on how you have it filed and displayed within the address book.

That would require a script in the e-mail, so the answer is "doubtful."

However, you could write yourself a little script to send out the same e-mail n times and only change the salutation and recipient address, if you use a little fancy footwork. I'm not sure how it would be done with an Exchange server (never tried... yet), but it's easy if you're using a typical *nix mail server.

You'd have to do some sort of mail merge, but I am uncertain if Outlook alone can do it. It used to be swiping names form like excel worksheet into a word 'form' letter.

I think you are better off using Word 2007's Mail Merge to E-mail functionality. It will use outlook to send the e-mail once ready. You do not even need to create a new Excel spreadsheet with data as you can pull information from any ODBC source.

Yeah I think you guys are right. More work then I'm willing to put into it. I'll jsut address everyone the same.

Back