office 2007 GP question

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know of a way to have outlook's exchange server name specifically entered for any user that newly configures there outlook for the first time?
I am in a situation where I am on a separate domain from the exchange server but it is in the dns search list. We use a friendly name if things do not work automatically. Once "check name" is clicked with the friendly name in the server option it will automatically find the SMTP name from AD.
I know with group policy we can set it to disable but the user will still have to type in the friendly name for it to find. If I could find a way to specify the friendly name it should work automatically.

For some reason it is not. When set to an auto configuration it will put a server name in the block but it will not connect. When in the mail configuration deleting this server and just putting in the friendly name then hitting check name or "Next" it will then work. I am sure it is because of a security lockdown we use but I am not sure what is causing it. Govt domains and such should give you an idea on what I mean by lockdowns :rolleyes:
I cant really go much further into those things for that reason.

When autodiscovering, does it put the CORRECT server name in there (it should be)?

No, it was putting the OU name instead of the exchange server name.

I guess before the question comes up and to squash anyone wasting time on links I will say that I have no control over the exchange server. My domain is a trusted domain with the one that actually houses the exchange server. I have control over the DNS and the DC but not the exchange server, that is on the sister domain. Our users use their accounts from the sister domains AD but the machines are controlled by my domain controllers and DNS. My domain is more secure due to the limitations on what the machines can have installed. That is why we let the sister domain control the user accounts. They log into our machines with their accounts.
I hope I am being clear here.

You will probably have to get the exchange admin to review the external autodiscovery on the server

Good idea, I will check with my exchange admins after lunch.

Yea, not much you can do. You might be able to find a way to patch this up client side but the "correct" way to fix it is getting the AutoDiscover fixed.

Yeah autodiscover is sweet... even my computer illiterate users can setup their email account on a computer with it! :D

Looks like my IA guy figured it out. It was another server we had to add to the dns search list. Albeit one we havnt used before.

Back