Office 2003 SP1 deployment?

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

Is there an easy way to deploy Office 2003 SP1 to a large number of workstations on and off the domain.

You can Use SMS to push it on the domain but that requires that you have SMS setup. They did a SMS push at my work place and to remote locations let me tell you 600 MEG office 03 with sp1 flowing downstream to all your domain PC's is a real biotch. Nothing like a user logging in and it taking twenty-minutes for the desktop to come up to the desktop.

KM

I've been struggling to find an easy way to deploy this patch via GP but Microsoft has not released the update as .MSI file only .EXE or .MSP.

In order to use group policy to push out a patch it needs to be .MSI.
MS says to update your admin install point with the patch .MSP then re-deploy using GP.
:confused:

Since I dont have too many workstations here that need it I created a CD that will autorun silently and automatically restart their comptuer when finished. So as soon as I test it on one machine, im gonna go around and just trow it in each computer.

You apply the .msp to the admin install point and then force a re-deploy of the policy. but from the sounds of you, you manually installed o2k3 on each machine. I'd say, create a new admin install point, apply the patch, create a transform(.mst) to adjust whatever settings you want(like setting up outlook to connect to exchange automatically so the user doesn't have to do anything) and then deploy the whole thing with a GPO. It will install over the current versions and get you to a point that is easier to manage on your end as well as easier to install on new computers.

Back