Office 2000 cd not working

courtney01

Gawd
I have a backup CD I made many years ago of MS Office 2000, and I'm trying to install it on my computer but nothing works. When I first load the disc, autoplay doesn't load up. When I double click the cd drive or right click to choose autoplay, it still doesn't autoplay. And even when I open the CD and click on setup, nothing happens. When I double click the setup icon, the mouse pointer turns into an hourglass for a fraction of a second and back to the pointer. What does this mean? Can I fix this CD?

Office 2000 should work on XP, have you tried cleaning the cd ?

I tried cleaning it, but it still won't work. I have 2 copies of this and both of them have the same problem. If I make another copy of this copy, could that fix the problem? I remember this disc working sometime in the past, so it did work at some point.

Since you've tried 2x CDs..and they both failed..have you tried some other CD just to see if your cd-drive went tits up?

If the CD's are really old, then there is a possibility that data was lost over time, if the CD's were old when you first burned it, and you said it was many years ago.

Maybe try open office? its a free alternative http://www.openoffice.org/

Since you've tried 2x CDs..and they both failed..have you tried some other CD just to see if your cd-drive went tits up?

Other CDs work so the drive seems fine.

If the CD's are really old, then there is a possibility that data was lost over time, if the CD's were old when you first burned it, and you said it was many years ago.

Maybe try open office? its a free alternative http://www.openoffice.org/

I was worried about that, but I have much older CDs that still read properly. Is there a costless way to recover the CD to its original state if the data really is lost?

I'll look into open office.

Your original Office 2000 CDs are nowhere to be found?
Yeah, they're in a museum somewhere.

On a serious note, at this point, if Office 2000 is the only version of Office you have sitting around, I'd just go with Open Office. It's free, and is for more up-to-date, feature-wise, than a decade old version of Office.

Yeah, they're in a museum somewhere.

On a serious note, at this point, if Office 2000 is the only version of Office you have sitting around, I'd just go with Open Office. It's free, and is for more up-to-date, feature-wise, than a decade old version of Office.

QFT. I haven't used Office 2000 since the Backstreet Boys and Nsync were battling for the number one spot on the billboard 100.

I'm not trying to be crass, do yourself a favor and try out Open Office.

I'm not trying to be crass, do yourself a favor and try out Open Office.

Ok. Are all the microsoft files compatible with open office? Like if I have a word file, it won't lose any data if I alter it with open office, or if I have an open office file it won't lose data if I alter it with word?

Open Office might fiddle with the formatting a little, but if all you have is Office 2000 then I'll be better. If you do go the OpenOffice route, make sure you set the program to save in Microsoft's formats, since the default file formats aren't compatible with Microsoft Office.

Ok. Are all the microsoft files compatible with open office? Like if I have a word file, it won't lose any data if I alter it with open office, or if I have an open office file it won't lose data if I alter it with word?
It might have some minor formatting changes with a new, Office 2007 format, but it will certainly handle anything you've been working with in Office 2000.

Back