Offered PNY 6800GT and Ultra instead of x800pro and XT. Good Deal?

fowlrock

2[H]4U
I made an order w/ an online retailer for 1-x800pro and 1-x800XTPE in early June. I've been getting the ship date pushed back and pushed back ever since (which is understandable considering the x800 shortage). This retailer offered today to ship me a PNY 6800GT and 6800Ultra for around the same price on the ATI card orders.

The price on the x800pro was under 350 and the price on the XTPE was under 450.

The only reason I'm asking for advice is because I've been an ATI !!!!!! for a while, and even though nvidia looks like they are going to win this round...I'm still a little fearful of "leaving the darkside".

If you were offered a PNY 6800GT and Ultra for those prices, would you wait for the ATI cards or would you accept?

**NOTE**...if you respond, please back up your opinion with some pro/cons and explanations...

I'd go for the 6800U if they're offering it to you for that price (provided they don't turn around and say that's on pre-order also).

Depends on what you are using for, if it is straight gaming machines the performance is similiar and I don't think you will be losing much. Plus for that price it really can't be beat. I would jump on it as I own a 6800 Ultra this time around, and its a very nice card, granted you have the PSU to power it. But they are some more factors that should be considered, such as what games you play, and where they are going into.

that can't be beat dude
i would have jumped on that quicker than liquid shit

The XTPEs are suppose to ship until October/November, you made a good choice. ;)

PNY are known to make bad boards(the capacitors explode or something and the thing craps out easy)....i know alot of people that wont buy them...but as far as performance goes....i doubt youll even know a difference....the GT will run a little faster than the pro but the ultra and XT are like....identical performers...(cept doom3) so theres really no loss and a little bit of gain on that deal (with the GT)...and im not gonna provide evidecne because its been provided in about 50 threads before this one.....so jsut look it up....

See if you can get a different brand. If so, take it.

As for switching sides... meh. I went with Nvidia, switched to ATI around the time of the 9700, and switched back this gen. Screw brand loyalty - whoever makes the best chip gets my money, and this time it was Nvidia.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was also concerned with the PNY brand. I've used their memory in the past with no issues, but had heard some bad press about their graphics cards. I emailed Kyle today asking if either he or Brent have had many other cards besides BFG to benchmark and test....here is his reply word for word:

"I think they have all been made by the same company with just different logos on them currently, BFG withstanding due to their OC bioses and testing"

So, if what Kyle said is accurate...then all boards should be the same, the only difference being BIOSes. I've seen alot of issues with the MSI 6800's in my search, but have seen nothing but praise so far for PNY's cards. And like Kyle said...they are all coming from the same place.

Back