• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Off to pick up 2x2.0Ghz

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,169
In an hour, I am heading to the Boston, AMD Tech Tour to see the show and pick up 2 Opteron 246s and a mobo. Hopefully I'll have the system up this week, and folding, although I might have to sacrifice a 1x240 for its memory.
 
don't think of it as losing a son, thing of it as gaining a daughter.

well, a smarter smp daughter.

wish i could get some opterons... but i'd probably have to get LCDs at the same time so i don't trip the circuit in my room :p

cookie to the first person to catch the reference ;)

mwhahaha
 
Why get LCD's to not trip the circuit when you can run a new circuit from another room over? :D
 
Monty python, of course. The father of the wimpy groom.

"In a legally binding way"

 
unhappy_mage said:
Monty python, of course. The father of the wimpy groom.

"In a legally binding way"
I was up in NY, NY a week or so ago for my grandparent's 40th, and we saw the SPAMalot gig there. It was pretty funny stuff.
Right, but anyway, congrats on the +4.0!! :D
 
Not to get back on topic or anything, but I'm back. 2x246 Opterons happier and a K8SE mobo instead of the K8SD that was supposed to be in the bundle (upgrade, in my opinion since I has the PCIe slot.

The other bit of news is that in the Q&A session they stated that a lower cost Dual Core solution should start showing up on the listings on 1 August and the price point should be in the $250 range (yours truly asked the question that let this cat out of the bag). I missed if he stated the specific processor it would be, but I am guessing based on rumor that it will be an X2 3800+.

Those who are looking for some dual core goodness, but can't afford the 4400+ should be excited.
 
Hey maybe that X2 3800+ will come down in price in a year or two and I'll be able to afford it. :) College costs a lot. Yep.

The price drop will be great, and AMD will have something to compete against Intel. The consumer wins.

-MN Scout
 
Well I couldn't help myself and just bought the 4x512MB memory for the opterons, so I won't be losing the 240. So, I should be adding 4Ghz to the family by the end of the week.
 
Hito Bahadur said:
Well I couldn't help myself and just bought the 4x512MB memory for the opterons, so I won't be losing the 240. So, I should be adding 4Ghz to the family by the end of the week.


Your an animal Hito! :cool:

 
Are you sure they said $250-range for the lower cost dual cores? The same news has been online for weeks but they stated the 3800+ X2 would be about $350.

I sure wish the tech tour came to my neck of the woods. Great score on the K8SE; a much better board than the "D" IMHO.

 
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal Hito. Hopefully the cost of the dual cores does hit a lower point. I was in Fry's this past weekend, and they had the prices in the case, and my wife freaked out.

 
p0tempkin said:
Are you sure they said $250-range for the lower cost dual cores? The same news has been online for weeks but they stated the 3800+ X2 would be about $350.

I sure wish the tech tour came to my neck of the woods. Great score on the K8SE; a much better board than the "D" IMHO.



It was the main rep from AMD and he said it to the whole crowd (few hundred people) as part of his answer to my question about their lack of support for dual core enthusiats who were interested in a lower pricepoint. He specifically said the $250 range. I was as surprised as you, but it does make sense from a marketing standpoint.

I agree with you on the SE, but now I am left with the question of dual processor gaming at 2.0Ghz or Single proc gaming on my 3400+@2.6Ghz. Currently solved by the fact that I don't have any PCIe video cards.

If multi-threaded games show promise I may be forced to get a 7800.
 
We need some pictures... I know it is a good board... good cpu's etc.. but it doesnt compare to marty's thread.. unless you got the pixxx

(granted he needs 1/2 a pallet to match up to your new rig ;) )
 
I was there with by boss :-D

picked up two server packages and two workstation packages and they'll be folding soon.
 
Do they have cheap bundles at the tech tour or something? It came through h-town last month and I didn't hear anything about it. I might have to hit it next year.
 
I don't think it's every year, AMD and MS teamed up to push their x64 architecture. It was a lame attempt overall and total BS presentations, but the good part was that they offered VERY cheap dual opteron server bundles and athlon 3200+ desktop bundles

AMD_tour.jpg


it was worth going just for the 2003 standard OS licenses. We could throw the rest of the AMD stuff away and still come out on top $$$-wise (can you tell that I don't particularly enjoy AMD products ;) lol

I think one will be a front-end OWA server and the other maybe an application box. I'll keep folding on both for sure.
 
Now that's a pretty picture... all that pristene, virgin hardware... ripe for the folding!

 
I have no patience so I can't fold with junk, I'd beat the living crap out of a P2 or P3 pc if it didn't finish a WU in like a week, I'd seriously take a baseball bat to it (maybe some anger management classes are in order...) but in the meantime I only fold on with P4 machines , dual XEON servers and in the near future these opterons too.

Poor me ;)
 
ZROUT said:
We could throw the rest of the AMD stuff away and still come out on top $$$-wise
if you're just gonna throw it out, can i have the opterons?

i'll pay shipping.
mwhahaha
 
Better pic that what I could post. I just got the one server package. Looks the same as ZROUTs.

I, on the other hand, much prefer AMD to Pentium heaters.
 
Well, 2x2.0 up and folding :)

I had to steal the case from the Opteron240 as it was the only one I could cram an E-ATX board into (had to do a little modding to allow for that.

It's beautiful to see both CPUs peg at 100 in the Task Manager. And all I can say is, Dual core Rocks. It is a very responsive system (now to explore Windows Server 2003 X64 Enterprise).

Out

edit: 457PPD at the moment with a crummy 748 WU (107PPD) and a great 1477 WU (350PPD).
 
Back
Top