Off to a start - First WC Build

Pathy

Weaksauce
Hey there,

I'm putting together a WC'd build and I'm just wondering about a few things.

Firstly, my system specs - I'm going to be running a E6600, OCed to ~3.6 in theory, and a 8800GTX.

For my pump and CPU block I've chosen the Apogee Drive, which is essentially a GT and MCP350 mashup. The GPU block is going to be a D-Tek FuZion 2.

So now that that's out of the way, on to the crux of the matter - The radiator. I was looking at the XChanger Triple, as the Thermochill 120.3 won't mount inside of the case due to its spacings. However from looking at things it seems that the MCR320 will provide near the same cooling.

I'll be cooling it with 3 Yate Loons, 1350RPM, but the lower I can run them the better.

So I'm looking for some advice on whether this seems viable, or if it's worth splashing out and paying for the XChanger.

Cheers guys, oh, and one last question - PrimoChill UV or Feser One, which provides the better colours under UV?

Thanks!

Alright, cheers guys.

For the cost difference between the Feser and the MCR I could get a FuZion 2 CPU Block, and a Laing DCC3.2 with the XSPC Res top. Think that might be worth it, or is sticking with the Drive the better option for now?

The Laing DDC 3.2 and the Apogee are essentially one in the same aside from the excellent XSPC top. If you are interested in saving some money, you could buy an Apogee and modify it from the stock 10 watts to 18 watts in line with a DDC 3.2. Then, purchase the XSPC top for $20 and save yourself an additional $40 if you were to purchase the DDC 3.2 and XSPC top separately. Check out Martin's findings on how to modify the Apogee

Also, I agree with the MCR320 vs the Xchanger. The cost savings alone would make this a good buy. Thats not to say the Feser isn't a good radiator, it is most excellent. But the 2c difference you get isn't worth the extra $60-70 you'll spend vs. the Swiftech.

It's looking that way.

I've decided to keep with the Drive for now, and if I need the extra grunt from a pump I can always increase it. After looking more at comparisons of the FuZion 2, GTZ, GT and Drive, I don't think there's much of a difference in it.

I'm actually in the UK and the Apogee Drive and the price of a Laing with the XSPC Top is the same, but I would then have to pay £45~ for a CPU block, about $80. I figure since there's only a few C in it I can wait, buy myself a top and a new block if and when I need them, and simply modify the Drive to give me the extra grunt.

Thanks for the reassurance regarding the radiator, the last thing I'd want to is to buy a MCR320 and find out that it isn't able to keep things cool under the lower RPM of the fans I want to run with it.

Merci, guys.

One thing to consider about the DDC. The stock screws are VERY soft. I had to swap tops on two, and before it was over I developed a deep, dark hatred for Swiftech. ;) PLEASE use a case-hardened phillips with a fine head.

Back