Off the wall question about Windows 98 and NTFS

Saist

Limp Gawd
In a chat room just a few minutes ago, I saw this comment

(01:36:19 AM) Caffeine: Windows 98 Pro supports NTFS.

Now... I called bunk on the comment stating that the only Windows 98 releases were Windows 98 (FE) and Windows 98 Second Edition. According to Microsoft.com, these are the only two branded versions of Windows 98.

So... my question is... has anybody else actually heard of a Windows 98 "Pro" edition?

Second, this same person claims that NTFS is supported by a 98 Boot diskette for MSDOS. I'm thinking no... because NTFS is/was only used in Windows NT systems. No mention is made on Microsoft.com about accessing NTFS from DOS anyways. What is mentioned on Microsoft's pages is that Dos 6.22 will record an NTFS partition as an HPFS partition, as well as page stating that the 6.22 FDISK can remove an NTFS partition, again, identifying it as HPFS. That same page also states that previous versions of MS DOS will see the NTFS partition, but will be unable to identify it. Possibly similar to the behavior of NT5 or Vista when faced with an EXT3 partition.

So, my second question is, is anybody aware of third party tools that allows NTFS partitions to be mounted from a Windows 98 MS-DOS boot diskette, and if so, what exactly are they?

Part of my just wants to be sure that I'm correct in my history about NTFS, and I figure that if any place is capable of remembering history better, it should be the HardForums :)

NTFSDOS and NTFS for Windows 98 (from Sysinternals) provides read-only access in a freeware product. same mob used to also sell the Winternals Administrator's pack which gave full read/write access, but microsoft has purchased the rights to that and I'm not sure which tools from the pack are now being offered. There are other freeware and commercial alternatives you could dig up with a search.

well, that answers the second question. Figures it'd be from the same group behind Page Defrag.

Any Win98 boot diskette providing the function would be a custom jobbie, not an officially endorsed one. That answer the first question?

You could make one easily enough by adding a suitable tool to a boot floppy.

actually, the first question was about the existence of a Windows 98 Pro edition...

Nope. Doesn't exist. Not as an official release anyway. Perhaps at some stage somebody put together an install disk with added extras, and called that '98 Pro', but if so then I've not heard of it.

I did sorta 'skip' most of the period between DOS5 and WinMe, though, by going bush away from anything technology related, and had to catch up afterwards. So I could've missed some enthusiast offering quite easily :)

Maybe they meant XP pro or 2k pro?

Nope, repetitive insistence of a Windows 98 Pro edition, as mentioned in a college text book :: Thompson publishing, under TIA A+ Cert standards

Which also appearently is supposed to cover recovering NTFS system files using a Windows 98 DOS boot disk.

Problem is, if I remember correctly, Thompson publishing also had the statement in one of it's text books that Microsoft created Linux to avoid anti-trust suits, and that OpenGL was a derivative of DirectX (no mention made of SGI).

I might be remembering the wrong publishing company though.

Back