Oerclocking ATI Mobility HD 4650, help needed.

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Any one have a laptop with this GPU? Also with 1GB GDDR3. I got VAIO FW, was trying to overclock ram and core but could not because of the black screen/lock up (I think VPU recovery is kicking in, which i can not turn off in CCC cuz its a mobile solution...) it just locks up where i have to hard shut down the laptop...

Windows 7RC x64, T9600, 4GB, HD4650 1GB, 320GB WD Scorpio Black.

Setting core to 600 and ram to 800 in GPUtool Stability test made temps spike up in to 100s... but without RAM OCing temps are in 64-68s...
I stopped at 600MHz core and left ram on stock (600MHz)

Also what memory chips are used on the Mobile 4650, what are they capable of?

And yes i know its a laptop, bad cooling etc, but still....
Any useful value would be appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
its a mobile gpu.. why are you even trying to overclock it? the things designed to run slower so it doesnt overheat.. but then again its your choice or not if you want to fry that laptop..

Stock rv730 is 600MHz, HD 4670 is 750MHz, so this chip can be OCed... plus it runs cool being 55nm chip. I got this laptop for mobile gaming/media (check the specs in 1st post) and being a PC enthusiast its a SIN not to overclock down-clocked rv730 which is at 450MHz being a mobile solution and all.....

http://www.gpureview.com/Radeon-HD-4650-PCI-E-card-580.html

Stock rv730 is 600MHz, HD 4670 is 750MHz, so this chip can be OCed... plus it runs cool being 55nm chip. I got this laptop for mobile gaming/media (check the specs in 1st post) and being a PC enthusiast its a SIN not to overclock down-clocked rv730 which is at 450MHz being a mobile solution and all.....

http://www.gpureview.com/Radeon-HD-4650-PCI-E-card-580.html

the difference is.. your comparing it to a card that has a full size heatsink on it to a gpu that has a paper think heatsink with a single heat pipe.. yeah i get the point of being a PC enthusiast.. but this is a damn laptop were talking about.. not a desktop.. if its hitting 100C then you know it cant be overclocked.. and to add on top of that your also heating up the entire laptop to 100C not just the gpu like you would in a desktop..

btw you do realize that raising the gpu from 450 to 600 mhz on a 4670 will only net you maybe 5-6fps.. its not the gpu thats the limitation its the shader count..

the difference is.. your comparing it to a card that has a full size heatsink on it to a gpu that has a paper think heatsink with a single heat pipe.. yeah i get the point of being a PC enthusiast.. but this is a damn laptop were talking about.. not a desktop.. if its hitting 100C then you know it cant be overclocked.. and to add on top of that your also heating up the entire laptop to 100C not just the gpu like you would in a desktop..

No not quiet 100C.

Setting core to 600 and ram to 800 in GPUtool Stability test made temps spike up in to 100s... but without RAM OCing temps are in 64-68s...

btw you do realize that raising the gpu from 450 to 600 mhz on a 4670 will only net you maybe 5-6fps.. its not the gpu thats the limitation its the shader count..

Actually a good 6-8fps and that's a huge difference between 22fps and 30fps. :)

id figure you would of gotten the picture after me being the only one to respond.. no one does mobile GPU overclocking so your going to have to do your own googling to find the answer.. so good luck..

id figure you would of gotten the picture after me being the only one to respond.. no one does mobile GPU overclocking so your going to have to do your own googling to find the answer.. so good luck..

What an ignorant response.

Anyways, bump up around 5-10MHz at a time and run some benchies each time. Check temps, check artifacting. After a while, if you're happy with the temps and you're certain it won't melt the casing of the laptop, stick to your guns.

It goes to black screen... and hangs during stability testing which i do in X3 Terran Conflict... I think its VPU recovery kicking in and sets it to stock 450. But when it goes to black screen there is no way to bring back the image, have to do hard shut down.

Is there any way to DISABLE VPU recovery (registry edit maybe?) ? (I know there sould be in CCC but it's not there because it's a Mobile GPU)

There may be 3rd party drivers that enable the full CCC options. Omega drivers used to be that way iirc, and there are still drivers like that for nV, but I'm not sure about more recent ATI drivers. If you find some, let me know, b/c my new lappy is begging for it with the 885g chipset integrated graphics....I've had no luck so far.

The talk about overheating stuff is fairly relevant though, this isn't like desktops where even stock coolers allow a lot of headroom. If you do OC, be sure not to do it with intake or outlet blocked, try to force fans to 100% and/or use a cooler and use caution/common sense.

Back