• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OEM vs Retail Core 2 Duo's

Kherozene

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 28, 2006
Messages
240
hi guys i about to order a Core 2 Duo E6600 and i can either buy a retail or OEM, oem is out of stock until next week thats ok coz im waiting for RAM anyway (it is only $10 cheaper than retail aswell) at the place i was going to order and the sales guy said he can sell me a retail version instead.

My question is which version do you get the case badge in, both or just the retail?

thanks
 
Case base?
You mean the thingie that the heatsink will fit into?

There isn't any.
The retail version contains a HSF that clicks right into the four holes around the socket.
I use that one, since it runs really low RPM it's very silent.
Saves money on getting a third-party HSF and paste.
I easily ran my E6600 at 3 GHz with it, at stock voltage.
It can probably overclock higher, because it doesn't get warm at all... but my memory is holding it back at these speeds.
 
Case badge only comes with the retail version. It looks sweet on my Antec Sonata. :)
 
I may be wrong (I don't buy CPUs) but IIRC the retail comes with a longer warranty whereas the OEM only comes with a 30 day one. Again... I may be wrong, but I think that's accurate. Of course... if you overclock then your warranty is void, though most will RMA a CPU that they fucked up anyway.
 
Poncho said:
I may be wrong (I don't buy CPUs) but IIRC the retail comes with a longer warranty whereas the OEM only comes with a 30 day one. Again... I may be wrong, but I think that's accurate. Of course... if you overclock then your warranty is void, though most will RMA a CPU that they fucked up anyway.

This is correct. Along with the fact that you get a box and HSF with the retail as opposed to he OEM.
 
Back
Top