OEM or retail Win 7 64?

ebeattie

Limp Gawd
Need to know about retail v. OEM with regards to hardware changes, specifically Hard Drives.

I plan on essentially building a new system here in the near future, and I will likely save a new hard drive for last. finally upgrading to a raptor, but I will be loading windows 7 on my new build with my CURRENT HD untill I have the finds for that new one.

I have currently had to activate my Vista copy through the phone with MS due to a hard drive change I made because it refused to activate over the web.

Will a hard drive change in Win 7 OEM 64 require me to call MS every time I want to format/reinstall?

Does it really matter? You're a retail customer, so I'd go retail. I don't understand how getting a new hard drive would affect your ability to activate Windows though...

For OEM, any time you do a hardware change, you would be required to go thru MS to get a new activation code.

Retail, you don't.

Okay, let's clarify for clarity's sake. You do not have to go through MS anytime you make any hardware change with an OEM license. If you make a minor change like a HDD, it is possible that you'll trip the activation. If so, you may be calling, but that's perfectly fine and legit. You may not even be prompted, especially if you just clone the OS over to the new drive.

However, if you make major changes, like a new motherboard and processor, you technically aren't supposed to be reactivationg that anyway, because it would count as a new computer.

You know the limits of both, so decide based on those. If you didn't make any changes, and were simply reinstalling, as long as it wasn't ever month, you'd probably be okay. I've rebuilt OEM systems with Vista and Windows 7 that activated online with their OEM key.

With OEM do you have to do a phone activation every time you install or change hardware - you shouldn't have to but, multiple installs or hardware changes in a short period of time almost guarantees it. DF was partially right a MB change (not processor) according to MS creates a new computer and an OEM license does not transfer.

DF was partially right a MB change (not processor) according to MS creates a new computer and an OEM license does not transfer.
You took that to mean just swapping the processor would constitute a new computer, and that isn't the case or my intention. I said it as a combo, because most people, especially ones dealing with OEM licenses, are swapping out the entire combo, not just one part. I don't know about you, but I may swap processors occasionally, but anytime I upgrade my motherboard, it is done to support a new processor, meaning they are done together. Sounds like you are splitting hairs.

As for the OEM part, you absolutely do not have to call in each and everytime you reinstall. There's no set-in-stone time limit, but most people are saying it falls around 6 months...where if you need to reinstall and reactivate and it's been six months in between, you'll be able to do so online with no issues. I've done this quite a few times in the last year on relatives laptops with Vista and Windows 7. I've done my father-in-law's twice already because he's a click-happy virus magnet. Each time, I'd do a clean install, set up the drivers, etc, and then pop in the key. Each time, on various brands, the OEM activation would go through online.

You took that to mean just swapping the processor would constitute a new computer, and that isn't the case or my intention. I said it as a combo, because most people, especially ones dealing with OEM licenses, are swapping out the entire combo, not just one part. I don't know about you, but I may swap processors occasionally, but anytime I upgrade my motherboard, it is done to support a new processor, meaning they are done together. Sounds like you are splitting hairs.
Hairs maybe, I do know that what MS says and what it does is often different. I still stand on the fact OEM licensing is based around the MB. As an example if your MB dies the license dies with it, that being said if you call MS up and explain they can and will reactivate Windows for you. This fact is known and has been used against them (reactivating a license on a MB upgrade not a replacement). I don't know about MS being the evil empire that everybody cry's about but, this seems to me a good business decision even though it goes against their own rules.

Thats how it worked for me with my OEM Vista copy. I used to format reinstall like no other, but I had to change my HD after my PC sat for a few months (long story). After the change I was forced to call.

Im truly sorry as I forgot to mention that I will have to buy a copy of Win7 and Im trying to figure out if I want to get OEM and risk having to call after installs for hardware changes (dude... i really hate talking to CSR reps not from the states...) or do I pay the extra cash and get retail and not worry bout it?

I think I honestly may go retail, but good lord OEM is so much cheaper!

I still stand on the fact OEM licensing is based around the MB.
Ok, settle down. No one was disagreeing with that. The easiest single component to point to as a "new computer" is the motherboard. You're now just repeating common accepting knowledge, but making it out to seem like I was wrong. I fact, you tried correcting me with false info...only confusing the OP even more so. You don't need to call MS each time you reinstall an OEM license.

You also are close to opening a can of worms...one that has been beaten to death on here. There is a huge gray area in terms of what makes a new computer, and when you are legit or when you are crossing the line with an OEM license as you upgrade. Then it opens to door for that a EULA really means and how enforceable it is. Yes, many people have installed an OEM license on an entirely new computer, and told MS that they had to replace a dead drive or mobo. We could argue until the cows come home, and make valid points on each side. The only thing we can do is give the OP the facts, and let them decide which license they'd rather buy.

Need to know about retail v. OEM with regards to hardware changes, specifically Hard Drives.

I plan on essentially building a new system here in the near future, and I will likely save a new hard drive for last. finally upgrading to a raptor, but I will be loading windows 7 on my new build with my CURRENT HD untill I have the finds for that new one.

I have currently had to activate my Vista copy through the phone with MS due to a hard drive change I made because it refused to activate over the web.

Will a hard drive change in Win 7 OEM 64 require me to call MS every time I want to format/reinstall?

Could'nt you just test Windows 7 for up to 120 days without activating? http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...vation-grace-period-of-windows-7-to-120-days/

BTW, for the retail copy, there are instances that you may have to call MS for activation.

For OEM, any time you do a hardware change, you would be required to go thru MS to get a new activation code.

Retail, you don't.
There was just a post the other day by someone saying that with Retail, if you activate it on one machine then switch to another that you have to contact Microsoft to get a new key. With OEM media I've NEVER had to do such thing.

I absolutely 100% recommend OEM software, especially from somewhere like Newegg where you can buy Home Premium for like $115 OEM full version. If you want to pay more for a retail copy and have possible limitations on activation, it's your buck.

I also 100% agree with the post that the activation is based on the motherboard. I've swapped every component except the motherboard without having to reactivate.

Last edited:
you tried correcting me with false info...only confusing the OP even more so.
And what false info was that?
You don't need to call MS each time you reinstall an OEM license.
Never claimed this.
There is a huge gray area in terms of what makes a new computer
No grey area here at all, MS is very specific that an OEM license is tied to the first MB it is installed on. As far as a person's install being legit, that's between them and MS. Anyway the OP needs to be aware what the different licenses technically allows, and doesn't allow, then make a decision based on his needs, beliefs, and MS's inconsistencies.

With OEM do you have to do a phone activation every time you install or change hardware
If you meant it as a declaration, then it is untrue. If it was a question...well, not sure what to say...didn't seem like a question.

No grey area here at all, MS is very specific that an OEM license is tied to the first MB it is installed on.
Show me where in the EULA it specifically states that a motherboard constitutes a computer? If you've been around for the debates on this topic (several years old now), you'd see that the problem is that MS doesn't make this info clear. You even reference MS inconsistencies yourself. MS is very clear that OEM cannot be moved to a new computer, but beyond that is where the confusion lies. There have been people even on here claiming to be denied when upgrading a video card or something similar...and others who have been able to reactivate on an entirely new computer without issue, many times over.

You're last sentence is correct, but that's what I said above. In the OP's case, only the hard drive would be swapped, which should be kosher with an OEM license. If you bought an HP off the shelf, and the drive died a month later, you'd be well within the rights of the EULA to replace the drive, and reinstall your version. If not, that would be evil of MS...to say the least.

https://oem.microsoft.com/script/ContentPage.aspx?PageID=552846
Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

MS is pretty clear on that replacing the motherboard = new computer. All the other components don't matter. They do allow for replacements in case of defects. But MS doesn't really care/check so people just say the motherboard died and they are using the replacement mb.

That is about as clear as I've ever seen, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What if my mobo dies and I can't find the same one...or even one nearly like it? I just encountered this with a friend of mine.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not disagreeing with the concept of the motherboard being the key part. Anyone on these boards have been saying that for years now. All I'm saying is, that rules for an OEM license leave a lot of gray area, and a lot of room for interpretation, and that's well before you ever take into account how much MS will really care.

Come on DF cut me a break here and take in account the whole sentence: "With OEM do you have to do a phone activation every time you install or change hardware - you shouldn't have to but, multiple installs or hardware changes in a short period of time almost guarantees it." If you feel I should have used a coma instead of a dash I coincide that point and am glad you weren't my high school English teacher ;).

Last edited:
That is about as clear as I've ever seen, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What if my mobo dies and I can't find the same one...or even one nearly like it? I just encountered this with a friend of mine.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm not disagreeing with the concept of the motherboard being the key part. Anyone on these boards have been saying that for years now. All I'm saying is, that rules for an OEM license leave a lot of gray area, and a lot of room for interpretation, and that's well before you ever take into account how much MS will really care.
We can all agree that changing the motherboard will result in reactivation needed. However, I've used the exact same key through 2 or 3 builds which were ground up new systems. I never once had to call Microsoft to give me a new key. Keep in mind though that there was usually a year or more in between each activation though. I have reactivated the same key in short periods of time on the same machine though.

As for the motherboard though, no, I don't think that if it dies you need to buy a new key. Keep in mind OEM is only supposed to be used on computers sold by companies like Dell, HP, or other. That key is tied to that machine, technology tied it by the motherboard but average joe doesn't know that ... well he does but not an average joe ;) . If the motherboard is lost, you use the same restore disc on the new install and they carry on like nothing has happened. It's still tied to that machine. That user is not in violation of the OEM licence since they are still using the same computer. If some person can go buy an hp desktop, have the motherboard replaced and use the restore disc and not break the license, the rest of us should be able to do the same thing. What if I put the coa sticker on the case and keep using the same case? It's no different than replacing failed components in a computer sold by HP.

Last edited:
I read it as with OEM you have to...... I took that to mean you said it is always necessary to call in....you shouldn't have to, but that's just the way it is. The comma or dash isn't the point that made it confusing to read.

I read it as with OEM you have to...... I took that to mean you said it is always necessary to call in....you shouldn't have to, but that's just the way it is. The comma or dash isn't the point that made it confusing to read.

Sorry I confused you I truly didn't mean too. :eek:

I've used the exact same key through 2 or 3 builds which were ground up new systems. I never once had to call Microsoft to give me a new key. Keep in mind though that there was usually a year or more in between each activation though. I have reactivated the same key in short periods of time on the same machine though.
You hit the nail on the head here! This is a prime example of the inconsistencies that I referred to in my earlier post. MS often says one thing then does another, I don't think even they can keep it straight.

Back