OEM operating systems

EvilGenesys

[H]ard|Gawd
Since I really hate the operating system discs that come with off the shelf computers, if I were to purchase an OEM copy of Windows, would the CD key that came with the computer be valid with the new OEM OS purchase?

No. An OEM license is valid only for the hardware it was installed with. You'll have to buy a retail copy of Windows to use the key on different hardware setups, not simultaneously of course.

I think he's asking if he got a disc to reinstall his current system with, would it work with the key on the sticker on his case? In this case, if you get an OEM version of the same type of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.) then it will work.

Why not just use the PID that comes with your OEM purchased software?

I think that's the plan. It seems to me like he wants to just use a Generic OEM Install Disk instead of the Dell- or HP-branded disk that came with his system.

To answer, yes, your original CD key should work, although if this system was from an OEM that pre-activates Windows from the install disk, yours won't.

Why not just use the PID that comes with your OEM purchased software?

PID number is a different thing to the Product Key used to install with. The end user has no real need to ever even take notice of the PID number. Only the 25-character Product Key needs to be used.

@ GJSNeptune - You're not only wrong but you're answering the wrong question anyway. Double-damned, eh?

@ EvilGenesys - two things you need be mindful of.

Firstly, do you want any of the pre-installed software which came with the system? If there is need to continue using that then there is no option other than to use the Recovery media rather than a dedicated Windows install disk.

Secondly, is that off the shelf system running XP or Vista. The two differ in the way they interact with product keys. XP has slight but real differences in the install disk for various license types. To avoid potential problems you'd be best advised to follow one of these two procedures:

• Purchase a dedicated OEM or Retail package and use the Product key supplied with that.
  • Make a copy of a dedicated XP install disk which exactly matches your own legitimate license for both license type and Service Pack integration, and use your original Product key with that.

If the preinstalled OS is Vista the situation is simpler. With the exception of VLK media (Volume licensing) all Vista install disks are identical. You'd need only locate a 32-bit or 64-bit install disk, make a copy of it, and use your legitimate Product key when installing with it.

@ GJSNeptune - You're not only wrong but you're answering the wrong question anyway. Double-damned, eh?

I'm not wrong. If I am, feel free to enlighten me, even if it means you have to step down from your throne. In addition, the OP wasn't very specific.

EvilGenesys said:
Since I really hate the operating system discs that come with off the shelf computers, if I were to purchase an OEM copy of Windows, would the CD key that came with the computer be valid with the new OEM OS purchase?
GJSNeptune said:
..You'll have to buy a retail copy of Windows to use the key on different hardware setups...
Catweazle said:
You're not only wrong but ...
GJSNeptune said:
I'm not wrong. If I am, feel free to enlighten me..

The emboldened bits. Whether you meant to or not, what you said told the fella he'd have to purchase a retail copy in order to use his OEM product key again. That's incorrect, and if the preinstalled OS is Windows XP it wouldn't even work anyway!

It's got nothing to do with being on a 'throne'. It was merely a simple, blunt statement of fact.

I take Dell Windows cds (with windows only, btw, no junk), install it on a non-dell, enter cd key off back of computer, online activation fails cuz it's not a dell, call MS to activate, success. This doesn't work with other Windows cd's btw, they reject the cd key from the back of the computer and don't give a chance to activate/call MS.

444 - What you are doing is technically piracy.

To the OP: Some manufacturers (like Dell) can now send you an install CD with just the OS. The trick is that you need to call and order it. It's between 10-20 bucks, but since you already have the license on the sticker that is on the computer, you are only purchasing the install media.

Caveat: you can only do this if you call with a valid service tag and are the person or company who actually bought the computer (they verify). I've done it to get install media for my systems at work to save for when we phase the systems out (we'll probably donate or sell them cheap).

Other than that, Catweazle already said everything else I would have said.

The emboldened bits. Whether you meant to or not, what you said told the fella he'd have to purchase a retail copy in order to use his OEM product key again. That's incorrect, and if the preinstalled OS is Windows XP it wouldn't even work anyway!

It's got nothing to do with being on a 'throne'. It was merely a simple, blunt statement of fact.

Let's quote my entire post this time:

GJSNeptune said:
No. An OEM license is valid only for the hardware it was installed with. You'll have to buy a retail copy of Windows to use the key on different hardware setups, not simultaneously of course.

Now let's break it down into independent clauses, or sentences.

"An OEM license is valid only for the hardware it was installed with."
Nothing false about this.

"You'll have to buy a retail copy of Windows to use the key on different hardware setups, not simultaneously of course.
Nothing false about this either. Notice that the refers to retail that appears several words behind it. It's not a matter of my intent, but rather your misinterpretation.

The OP wasn't specific enough, as pointed out by bashPenguin. In fact, your post regarding me was utterly needless and only an attempt to feel better about yourself during perhaps a brief absence of self-esteem.

444 - What you are doing is technically piracy.

Is it? It's not like the manufacturers give you a choice in some circumstances with their hdd-image-only

After all, it's just a media disc. The license is still with the PC, it activates using the COA's CD-key provided by the manufacturer, you're just using a different installation CD. Or, if you're using a Dell, it automatically authenticates with no need for the COA (which certainly can be piracy if you're installing MCE on an XP Home, or other similar installs).

MS will send you a new disc for the cost of media in some circumstances for non-branded OEM installs, because, as far as I knew, that sticker means more to MS than the CD.

At any rate, I've been doing the same thing for years, simply because the CD works with other company's COAs. I removed the Dell Branding when I slipstreamed the service packs, but in the end, the customers were all registered with their own COAs. If it's piracy, then it's arguably justifiable piracy with absolutely no victim. You've already bought the license with the system, and that's the only copy you're using, after all.

Is it? It's not like the manufacturers give you a choice in some circumstances with their hdd-image-only

After all, it's just a media disc. The license is still with the PC, it activates using the COA's CD-key provided by the manufacturer, you're just using a different installation CD. Or, if you're using a Dell, it automatically authenticates with no need for the COA (which certainly can be piracy if you're installing MCE on an XP Home, or other similar installs).

MS will send you a new disc for the cost of media in some circumstances for non-branded OEM installs, because, as far as I knew, that sticker means more to MS than the CD.

To me it sounded like 444 was using the product keys from a Dell machine (I assume already preactivated) and using them to install on another machine different from the Dell, which should be in violation of the OEM license. Of course, 'enter cd key off back of computer' is vague, it could mean either the Dell computer or the other one, but I just assume this was the case.

I take Dell Windows cds (with windows only, btw, no junk), install it on a non-dell, enter cd key off back of computer,

'Back of computer' was referring to the computer getting the install like batteriesnotincluded interpreted.

Simple situation, dude. The topic poster asked a question about usage of an existing OEM product key. You responded with a post referring to using "the key". I made a light-hearted but appropriate comment in response.

Your post used the term "the key". If that referred to the OEM key the topic poster was asking about then your comment was incorrect. If it instead referred to a retail product key then it was an irrelevence. Either way the fellow's legitimate Windows Product Key is a valid one irrespective of how he physically gets the installation in place.

No need to go ballistic and be personally insulting. I already included the caveat that your comment's meaning was likely to be unintentional. Sheesh!

But thanks for the psychological analysis anyway. I'm not gonna draw any benefit from it (and a glance over it suggests to me that I've done more study in psychology than you have) but it was kind of you to take the time to conduct it. :D

That is exactly what I meant.....it's much easier to type and most people will interpret it the same way, sorry I wasn't more explicit. ;)

PID number is a different thing to the Product Key used to install with. The end user has no real need to ever even take notice of the PID number. Only the 25-character Product Key needs to be used.

EvilGenesys, you asked you could use your off-the-shelf computer's OEM Windows install key with a different OEM Windows install disk. I understood that quite clearly.

The answer is "Yes". Please don't let the intruding pettinesses distract you from that truth.

This is something I've personally done numerous times, and something I've advised thousnads upon thousands of my readers to do over time. There are many, many people who prefer to use an actual Windows install disk to perform a clean, uncluttered install, rather than using Recovery media which also puts 'bundled' software on the machine.

You Windows Product key is 'tied' to the license type rather than to the actual physical disk. The media and installation technique you use is an irrelevence. Activating the installation with your valid product key assigned is what activates the product license.

It is best to ensure that the disk you use to install with 'matches' the license type and Service Pack revision of what you had originally. That way the product key will be accepted as valid during the installation and the installation will proceed without problem.

But even if you can't access a suitably matching install disk to use, you can still achieve what you desire because a 'workaround' is available. You'll still be able to use the product key which was provided to you with the machine. In this circumstance the procedure is as follows:

• Install using any borrowed Windows CD, ensuring only that it 'matches' with respect to version. (Ie.
  • Use the product key provided with that borrowed CD to install with.
  • Do NOT allow the installation to be automatically activated.
  • Run the activation wizard manually, and choose the 'Actiovate by telephone' option.
  • Explain to the call centre person that you wish to change the product key. If queried, explain that you've used a different install disk to perform a clean install, rather than using the overly-bloated Recovery media.
  • Follow the instructions to get your Windows installation activated with your own, valid product key assigned!

Back