OEM Media?

Slow

Weaksauce
I recently bought a Lenovo ThinkPad R61. It came with Vista Home Premium. Lenovo installs a bunch of crap/trialware as well as dedicating about 40% of the HD to a recovery partition. I would like to put on a fresh/clean install of vista, however they did not provide (nor provide the option) for any sort of media to do this... If I can find an OEM Media disk, will this work with the key I have? Any recommendation on where I can buy just the media (no license)?

Thanks!

I'm not sure where you can get a *legal* disc for this.......... but,

If you just want to clean up your PC though, you might want to try a free app called PC Decrapifier. It's only purpose is to scan a new computer for any shovelware/trialware apps preloaded, and it removes them. You'd still have to remove the recovery partition manually though.

I recently bought a Lenovo ThinkPad R61. It came with Vista Home Premium. Lenovo installs a bunch of crap/trialware as well as dedicating about 40% of the HD to a recovery partition. I would like to put on a fresh/clean install of vista, however they did not provide (nor provide the option) for any sort of media to do this... If I can find an OEM Media disk, will this work with the key I have? Any recommendation on where I can buy just the media (no license)?

Thanks!

You can order a disk from MS if you want to jump through some hoops.

Other then that pretty much any oem vista disk will work as they each have all of the versions on them. With the OEM keys that they put on the big name systems you will need to call in the activation as it will not go through via the internet. Other then that no you can't just buy the media unless you can get lenovo to supply it.

I thought Lenovo's usually had an option buried in the start menu to burn recovery media. Im not sure where exactly, my thinkpad is too old for such an option.

I thought Lenovo's usually had an option buried in the start menu to burn recovery media. Im not sure where exactly, my thinkpad is too old for such an option.

Most laptops have this option, but I believe it is an image of the drive after the OS is installed, the same as you get from the recovery partition. It is not a "Vista" Disk.

Back