Oem Athlon 64 3000+ & ECS Nforce3-A combo 129+ S\H (no rebates)

UW Students each year are able to get WINXP Pro & OFFICE XP for $9 bucks each. woot!

The max stable OC ended up being 2.35 GHz with the stock cooler.

Temps seem to range from 32-40 C.

In UT2k4 I gained about 20% over my Barton @ 2.42 GHz.

Rcv said:
The max stable OC ended up being 2.35 GHz with the stock cooler.

Temps seem to range from 32-40 C.

In UT2k4 I gained about 20% over my Barton @ 2.42 GHz.
are these specs from the Retail 3000+ & ECS NFORCE3-A combo?

about a year back I bought the Fry's combo; NewCastle 3000+ & ECS 775A combo, w/ 2x1GB Corsair cheapo ram, and
- currently running rock stable @ 2.4, on Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu in silent mode. no additional fans, just the PS fan (also in silent mode)

very happy with it.

I am trying to figure out if I can get 2Gb of ram on this board. Apparently, they recommend only up to 3 banks of memory at full speed. Any suggestions?

i think the nforce4 motherboard in the sempy combo is better @ $80

(this combo just came out recently, and i have purchased it... BUT i have yet to run it yet :p cause im still looking for a hsf)

Is the stock HSF included the one they sell on eBay with the heatpipes? I might get this instead of the Sempron 3100+

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (10 x 240) 3400+
CPU Alias Venice S754
CPU Stepping DH-E6
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 4x / 10x
L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 754 Pin uOPGA
Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
Transistors 68.5 million
Process Technology 11Mi, 90 nm, CMOS, Cu, SOI
Die Size 84 mm2
Core Voltage 1.100 - 1.450 V
I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V
Maximum Power 67.0 W

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 0 %

silentnswift said:
Is the stock HSF included the one they sell on eBay with the heatpipes?
The HSF includes a standard looking all-aluminum heatsink. No heatpipes.

unterhausen said:
The HSF includes a standard looking all-aluminum heatsink. No heatpipes.
Thanks, I guess the HSF I was getting for the Sempron won't be worse than the stock Aluminum HSF.

This is no longer a deal... it's up to 180 something... wait, nevermind. The link still shows 119. With AM2 around the corner, prices are going to start dropping like wildfire. Sike.

noobtech said:
This is no longer a deal... it's up to 180 something... wait, nevermind. The link still shows 119. With AM2 around the corner, prices are going to start dropping like wildfire. Sike.
lol Deal IS all gone now. $189....

any overclocking stories about this...

I have tried to get this chips to 2.7 at least but nothing, I am stuck at 2.4 for now. any luck anyone..

Affini said:
are these specs from the Retail 3000+ & ECS NFORCE3-A combo?

about a year back I bought the Fry's combo; NewCastle 3000+ & ECS 775A combo, w/ 2x1GB Corsair cheapo ram, and
- currently running rock stable @ 2.4, on Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu in silent mode. no additional fans, just the PS fan (also in silent mode)

very happy with it.

did you have to add any sort of voltage?

hrm.. im thinking about pulling the trigger on this for a half ass gaming machine for my lady friend.. hrm.. I have a nvidia 6800agp card that could be used in it..

This chip overclocks like a dream, but the motherboard limits it unless you flash your bios.

Are people doing these wonderful overclocks even on stock cooling? I'm not a hardcore overclocker but if I can get gains on stock cooling it would be tight.

silentnswift said:
Are people doing these wonderful overclocks even on stock cooling? I'm not a hardcore overclocker but if I can get gains on stock cooling it would be tight.

I've got a Venice 3000+ at 2.7Ghz in my DFI board with stock cooling. I had an xp-90 on it but it didn't help the overclock any just lowered the temps so I left the stock heatsink on.

I bit...

I needed to downgrade to a reasonable system and get my bang for the buck for what I use it for... "homework" LoL... I never play any games and for me to "used to" have 7900GT in SLi... it was too much overkill. Besides, I need money for school. It sucks to be broke when I put all what I earn into my pc. LoL.

I was reading in the thread for the Sempron deal that some people were having trouble with 2X1GB of RAM was running slower than 2X512MB.

Anyone having this problem with this combo? I assume it was a mobo issue, and this is the same mobo.

Quick noob question: It doesn't matter if I throw in RAM specified for dual channel in a non-dual channel setup, does it?

Quick noob question: It doesn't matter if I throw in RAM specified for dual channel in a non-dual channel setup, does it?[/QUOTE]

Nope, doesn't matter... it just won't run in dual mode. :)

ituggle said:
I was reading in the thread for the Sempron deal that some people were having trouble with 2X1GB of RAM was running slower than 2X512MB.

Anyone having this problem with this combo? I assume it was a mobo issue, and this is the same mobo.

Quick noob question: It doesn't matter if I throw in RAM specified for dual channel in a non-dual channel setup, does it?

It is the same board as the Sempron deal.

ANother simple question...I wanna put this in my DFI board. Will i need a bios flash for this cpu type?

darc said:
ANother simple question...I wanna put this in my DFI board. Will i need a bios flash for this cpu type?

Nope, it will work... just be sure it's a s754 board.

Ah...ya, I just want to swap out my newcastle cpu with this one. Yay...time to play around with something new.

Do the 754 venice's have the ~230 limit for mem too?

darc said:
Ah...ya, I just want to swap out my newcastle cpu with this one. Yay...time to play around with something new.

Do the 754 venice's have the ~230 limit for mem too?

Oh, it's the motherboard that limits it... not the cpu. The max is 250 FSB. I forget what the multiplier is on the venice, so 250x(X) is what the max it would do unless you flash your bios... the instructions are in this thread somewhere.

CRAP , I WAS GOING TO BUY ONE TODAY, and now I can't add it to cart... AND the sempron deal is dead...

silentnswift said:
CRAP , I WAS GOING TO BUY ONE TODAY, and now I can't add it to cart... AND the sempron deal is dead...

I can't add it either... probably OOS.

Glad I ordered mine yesterday.

you should be able to call them to do it... I saw in the local Frys ad... "renton, WA" that they have this deal for today only... I figured to order it online to save gas and time.... ;-)

I couldn't my order to work online late last night. It kept getting hung up at the "review your order" page just before they charge you. I decided to wait until today to try to put it through, and the combo was taken out of my cart, but the ram I selected was still inside. Like you guys, I couldn't get it to add to the cart, either.

I called just now. They still have it. Same price. You just need to call in the order.

Can't wait for it to show up.

Back