Odd Win 8.1 Booting issue

I'm having an odd issue that for the life of me I cannot figure out.

The issue:

Windows will not display anything on boot up except a periodic flashing of the network icon

This began after I did a "Restart and Install Updates" on Tuesday.

This is a NAS box so this is what I've noticed "remotely"
The mapped drives work fine
I cannot MSTSC to it.. the session goes to a black screen then disconnects after 10s
When I remotely accessed the event viewer for the box I found the following:
"The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b)"
This error continues infinitely after it tries to restart the service.

Since the the BIOS is UEFI I cannot simply boot into recovery/safemode.
I tried to boot with a Win8.1 USB drive but when I do it sits at a black screen with 2 thin blue lines on the top and bottom of the screen.

In the BIOS I have video and I have video when I hit F11 to select boot options but after that it goes haywire

Have you attempted to boot into safe mode?

I would start by suspecting bad video drivers, or possibly bad video hardware. What does the NAS box have for video exactly?

Its gotta be that damn Windows 10 nagware reminder! Damn spawn of Satan probably crashing your machine to make you want to upgrade!

Seriously though, did it literally start right after the upgrades? If so that sounds like a place to start.

The box is just a AMD APU with onboard video.
Since I was able to connect to the drives I didn't realize there was an issue right away. But it must have had the issue right after the restart since that is the last thing that I did.

I can't get into safe mode because of the aforementioned black screen with blue lines..

Someone I work with brought up that there is a feature in team viewer that blacks out the screen and that it may be causing the issue. Is anyone else aware of this?

Back