Odd WAN Link problems

Liquidkristal

Supreme [H]ardness
We have a new client who has a 100Mbit WAN (Checked with telco, they say it is 100Mbit as well) between sites. However the performance is not right, 25 minutes to copy 2.8GB (so about 20Mbit give or take)

The hardware on each end is a HP1800-48 series switch with about 20 users on each end.

If I ping a printer in Site B from Site A I get steady <1ms pings, if I ping either switch its all over the place, (between 1ms and 700ms) either locally or remotely.

The whole thing is setup on 1 subnet as well (which can't be helping), the plan is to route the whole thing, now Cisco's website is not the most helpful, I was looking at the small routers with FE WAN ports, like say the 867VAE, the only mentions of routed throughput seem to be very low (it supports VDSL2 so I would expect 100Mbit throughput), or would we be better going with L3 Switches on each end to give each site a seperate subnet and route between them

Are there routers there now? If so what models?

No routers at the moment, just a Procurve 1800 at each end.

They were both configured for 100 1/2 duplex so the performance was really poor, changed the config to be 100FDX and its a bit better, but still very poor. The high ping response times from each switch concern me (are the switches overloaded?)

Are you able to login to the switches and see the load?

Also typically once inside the switch you should be able to ping from the switch to the other switch, see if that provides different results.

They are quite basic web managed switches, they don't show and kind of CPU details, the ping diagnostic is showing latency of about 20ms to the other switch.

The latency isn't a steady high though, sometimes its where I would expect it to be <1ms, and other times its sky high.

Back