• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Odd Vista/IE Problem

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
7,601
Lately, I have been noticing that IE ceases to work (as in: locks up, stops responding) if I leave it running in the taskbar.

In other words, if I am reading an article before work, I minimize the window to the taskbar, to finish reading when I get back after the day is over.

However, without fail, it will lock up. Every single time. Different webpages.
Even if it sits there for several hours (not all day) it will do this.

Just bizarre, has anyone else had this problem?
 
Use Firefox?

I've never installed Vista on my computers but from just having to troubleshoot all of my friends computers with it, I tend to avoid [Vista] it like the plague...
 
i was having the same problem with vista and couldn't for the life of me figure it out. untill i read a post (forget where) about onboard nvidia lan adapter, so i disabled the onboard lan, and stuck in a old d-link card and it fixed all problems with ie not responding.

just something to think about.


Use Firefox?

I've never installed Vista on my computers but from just having to troubleshoot all of my friends computers with it, I tend to avoid [Vista] it like the plague...

firefox was doing the same thing, there is nothing wrong with vista.
 
Use Firefox?

I've never installed Vista on my computers but from just having to troubleshoot all of my friends computers with it, I tend to avoid [Vista] it like the plague...


Yes, FF or Opera.
I've used FF since back in the Phoenix days, but have been running Opera as of late & am liking it better everyday.
I'm actually trying out ie7 pro as I write this & it has crashed 3 times in less than an hour. Seems that no matter what you try with ie, it's just crap.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, never ever say anything bad about vista around here... no matter what your experiences with it. You will go down in flames. ;)
 
I don't seem to recall asking "IE 7 sucks, what should I use instead?"

However I do have IE7 Pro installed. And it could be that which is causing the problems (although I don't remember ever leaving windows open before getting IE7 Pro, but that could be due to the fact that if it worked prior to IE7 Pro, I just wouldn't remember it).

I might leave a Window open tonight, see what it does tomorrow. If it repeats itself (it has in the past), I'll uninstall IE7 Pro and try again. Could be IE7 Pro causing the issues.
 
I've got IE7 Pro installed as well, and I think it does add instability to IE7. I used to have the same problem, but I do like IE 7 Pro and the latest version seems to have fixed the issue so make sure that you are running that : http://www.ie7pro.com/download.php?language=en.

That said, I've have found IE 7 Pro to be incompatible with the RealPlayer 11 add-in that downloads Flash video, which is cool. I have to disable IE 7 Pro to get the RealPlayer add-in to work with IE, something to keep in mind.

On a side note, It is truly amazing how people how many people love to rant about how bad Vista is. Making blanket statements like some in this thread are of no real use to anyone who's looking to solve a specific issues.

Vista/IE far from suck. The vast majority of Windows problems I see are related to either buggy drivers, or like this case, some add-on that's a little flaky.
 
Mac[X-D];1031773368 said:
firefox was doing the same thing, there is nothing wrong with vista.

Quite the opposite, if even Firefox won't work the flaw is not in IE but Vista itself. :rolleyes:

On a similar sidenote it's quite amazing how some people fail to see ALL the flaws in the system and continuously blame drivers etc. for the problems. It doesn't matter why it doesnt work if it doesn't work 'out of the box' or 'by any means possible'. XP does work. Period.
 
Naturally, since I was testing my issues out... it worked fine.

I do think IE7 Pro causes instability too, I am running the latest version. I used to have it installed on my work machine, and after a couple weeks of messing around with crashes, page loading problems, and some things I can't remember- had to ditch it.
 
Vista/IE far from suck. The vast majority of Windows problems I see are related to either buggy drivers, or like this case, some add-on that's a little flaky.

Exactly.

IE7 has been working fine for me even since the Beta builds....


People have got to learn to not say MS SUCKS VISTA SUCKS and learn to try and find a fix. This is not directed at the OP in anyway, but to all that have been saying Vista sucks bla bla, go to firefox bla bla.

Firefox is worse than IE7 on my system...stupid thing has to update everytime I open it up it seems like and it loves to hog my CPU even though it is a fresh install with no extensions...
 
I have the same issue with IE and Firefox on just one of my computer at home where if I leave a webpage up too long (a few hours to all day), my computer will slow down and then freeze, or come close to it.

Opening task manager, Firefox.exe would usually be using up around 300+mb of memory. Same thing happens with Internet Explorer 7.0

Last night I tried disabling Shockwave Flash in IE's addon management, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet since, so I'll find out later when I get home from work whether Flash was the culprit. I think it was.
 
I've had very similar issues as this. The culprit is the Newegg banner above. The forum mods have already been aware of it, and have let Newegg know about it.

The solution is to disable the Shockwave plug-in for IE for the time being.
 
Back
Top