Odd video streaming problem...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ShogunCS, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ShogunCS

ShogunCS Limp Gawd

I consider myself to be quite good with networking, but I have stumbled across a problem which is starting to bother me. Basically what is happening is when I play any kind of video stream from any given site on the net, my internet connection drops and the only way to revive it is a power cycle of the router. I haven't had this problem until recently (past few months) and I have owned this current router (Linksys Wireless B router) for 3-4 years. I've gone over all of my router settings and everything is set properly. I thought to myself perhaps my router was blocking that video stream via a port block on my router. But this can't be since I even tried opening every well known port on my router (0-50k) for a few minutes to see if that would work but to no avail. Therefore I believe it could an actual router hardware issue. The conclusion I've come to is that I think the router's buffer is recieving the video stream packets in the router's buffer but cannot handle the flow and is discarding them, which in the process locks up my router and thus requiring a power cycle. I think it may be time to buy a new router! What do you guys think?

2. moetop

moetop [H]ard|Gawd

Put a hub on the outside of the router and sniff the traffic. You might see something in there.