Odd System lag / temp's...

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Okay so over christmas a friend of mine needed a new computer so I did some searching and told him what to buy and set it all up. All was fine for a few weeks until he started geting lag in games and some times in 3ds or other system use.

The lag is not from ping when it's multi player games. In Crysis you push a key to move left and about 4 seconds later the character moves. Its not looking like a graphical problem as even with the settings as low as possible it still happens. CPU usage during this is not spiked or doing anything outisde of Crysis (no spyware or anything in there eating up its usage.)

I had him check temps for me to see if maybe the CPU cooler was mounted wrong or not set properly, and let me know what he was seeing.

I had him look at the bios temp lists and from windows after a load in Everest. If what he is telling me is true I am baffled. He is saying that upon boot up the Bios and Everest (about a 3c difference between the two) are reading in the 50 range for idle. The MB is up in the 57 area and the GPU which is pretty normal for the 8800's at about 60.

The CPU is the Athlon X2 4800+ 2.5 ghz 65nm
The MB is the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570

The really confusing part comes in where after a minute or half a minute of watching the temps he is telling me both the board and everest are showing over 170C on the CPU.

I have asked him to go through his voltage for me, the board might be pumping to much to the CPU but in one of the log files he sent me he was getting :

[01/25/2008 at 03:48 am] +3.3 Voltage Abnormal, 2.14 V
[01/25/2008 at 03:48 am] +5.0 Voltage Abnormal, 3.22 V
[01/25/2008 at 03:48 am] +12.0 Voltage Abnormal, 8.00 V
[01/25/2008 at 03:48 am] CPU Temperature Abnormal, 178 degrees centigrade
[01/25/2008 at 03:48 am] MB Temperature Abnormal, 54 degrees centigrade
[01/25/2008 at 03:48 am] MB Temperature Abnormal, 54 degrees centigrade

So I am not fully sure where the problem is mainly. From that voltage the PSU looks bad (550W or 600W I cannot remember for sure will get that info and edit) but it had 3 or 4 12v rails at 18a each (dont quote me on that yet) and the rest should be able to handle it as well :eek:.

I will have him verefy his MB power settings for me and go over the side of the PSU that lists voltage but other than that I am thinking bad MB possibly? no way would a CPU last long at 177C, the onboard emergency system would kill the system, I know I set it to power down if it got to 70c.

Any suggestions would be most welcome! And thank you for taking the time to read all this!

Back