Odd responsiveness issue with Aero

Drewis

Limp Gawd
Hi all. PC is in sig.

Very very odd issue here have not been able to find any information out there and I really do not want to re-format but I will if i have to.

No new software/drivers/games installed. I just actually downloaded the two free BF4 expansions recently. Thats it.

Problem is: Ill be using my PC for anywhere from 5 - 50 minutes, just light browsing, maybe a video, whatever.
All of a sudden Aero/Explorer become pretty much unresponsive. Windows lag like 10 seconds while moving, cant refresh the desktop. Video playback does NOT stop, however it becomes slightly sluggish.

I have watched my process window during all of this and the only thing that changes is DWM.EXE jumps to 50 MB of usage, to the 3rd on the list. 50 MB is not alot by any means.

As SOON as I CTRL ALT DEL, INSTANTLY the system is responsive again. I dont have to close anything, I dont have to shut down any processes, it just instantly goes back to normal for another few hours until I have to do it again.

Everything is up to date, all windows updates are done. I have had no issue with my overclock, this PC has not crashed since I bought it. I have scanned with MWB and AVAST, ran CC cleaner, cleaned browser/temp/cache folders. Uninstalled /stopped all non essential services from msconfig.. This started happening about 2 weeks ago.

It *may* be my External HDD, I havent left it out long enough to test.

I have no extra USB devices installed that arent being used.

I believe my options are 1. System Restore 2. Format.

What do yall think ?

Have you tried disabling the "Themes" service and rebooting?

no but I will try it.

and updated video card drivers didnt work either.

no but I will try it.

and updated video card drivers didnt work either.

"Themes" is basically Aero. At least the GPU accelerated part. So if you feel it's the cause, that might rule it out.
And I would disconnect the external HDD enclosure, because more often than not the USB wires provided can be wonky and cause error floods to appear in your System journal.
BTW have you checked the system log?

no real errors to speak of.

just the kernel-power (processor X has failed to start ETC blah) because I dont have C-states enabled...

this was already happening before

grr.. i really do not want to upgrade to 10 but i guess if theres any time, theres no time like the present.

no real errors to speak of.

just the kernel-power (processor X has failed to start ETC blah) because I dont have C-states enabled...

this was already happening before

grr.. i really do not want to upgrade to 10 but i guess if theres any time, theres no time like the present.
Hm.

Well okay.
1. Have you got any codec packs installed? Like K-lite? Try uninstalling and leave it up to the player to decode.
2. Then, try (if you haven't) the pretty desktop services 'Themes' and "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager".
3. Prevent drives going to sleep by choosing an "always on" power scheme.
4. Threats of violence
That's all I've got

Back