Odd PSU issues

Cottonwood00

Weaksauce
I have an older PhenomII x965 on 939 socket and for awhile I noticed the computer would keep shutting off. So my initial thought was heat, now for awhile I had speedfan running and noticed it got hot. So I got a new cooler added some arctic silver, this brought down the temps but it continues to turn off randomly even when the CPU is at like 40-45c. So now when it turns off it can't be turned back on for awhile. If you wait awhile it will turn back on for like 30-45min then shut back down.

I bare boned it 1 stick of ram, boot drive, no GPU, and it boots sporadically. I tried my new PSU from another computer and hooks it up and it just worked fine 2 times.

My next try will be to take the old PSU and try it with my new computer to see if its a short in the cables or something.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for testing whats really wrong? I really dont want to buy a new PSU and find out its a mobo issue or a shortage somewhere. Mostly because its an older computer already

I'm not at home right now, i'll throw the specs up in a little. Its a Corsair 750w but its about 4 almost 5 years old. To me it seems like the capacitors might not be holding on to a charge but i know next to nothing when it comes to electrical engineering

Check for bad capacitors around your components. Maybe also check your voltage regulator temps on your motherboard as the paste on that stuff dries up sometimes, assuming it has heatsinks. Also if its a PII 965, its probably a am2 or am2+ board, are you sure it is designed for the 95+ watt chip?

Also you could try loading up the cpu with occt and see if you get a crash or if it is just random, it could very well be the ps. You could always take a look at the voltages in the bios or other utility and see if they are reading close to norm, i think the key ones to look for are +-12v and the 3.3 rails. Also Are you overclocking at all on that chip / unlocking cores ?

Its a Corsair TX750 and no I have not done any overclocking or unlocking yet.

Also checked for Capacitators on the mobo and they looks good and im pretty sure the MOBO should handle it, its been awhile but Im pretty sure they are compatiable. Another thing that makes me think they are compatable is that i've had the computer for 4 years and i just recently started having issues in the past month or two.

But good idea on the heatsink on the mother board i'll take a look tomorrow evening and i'll take a look at the voltages.

Whats a safe +- for voltages anyway?

I'd take the PSU from the new computer and try it in the older one. The 965 is still a nice processor btw.

I gave the other PSU a try but i only made sure it spun up a few time, i should give it a longer term test.

Also yeah the 965 is a beast, im turning it into a dev box though for side projects mostly cause i like to have a dedicated linux box for developing on. Hopefully get some more cash to make a dedicated gaming box but i just got an xboxone so ill probably beat on that for awhile.

So i think i figured it out, I ran memtest86 and a bunch of errors with a set of Duel channel ram. Too bad i already bought a power supply, i'll have to return but Im 90% sure my ram is messed up. Which causes crashes and if messed up enough can cause a system to not boot.

Back