Odd Problem with X-Fi

dextr3k

Gawd
I have a MSI motherboard which came with a MSI branded X-Fi sound card. PCIE 1x if that helps narrow it down. Also using Vista x64.

So I have sound working, everything is spiffy, but there is only 1 plug for Mic/Line-in, the problem lies in that Vista does not change it into a line in, it always stays as a mic, I've been able to get that green bar in Vista to display green, indicating there is sound detected, but because it thinks its a mic, I cannot get the audio to play out of my speakers. It also does not provide me with a Line-in audio levels option.

I am kinda leaning towards a driver problem...but.....there are no other drivers, I used msi drivers, used creative drivers, used default vista drivers....and they all pretty much have the same options....=(

So I'm wondering if anyone had this problem, or am i just missing something completely obvious....

62874288fi7.jpg

So after playing around with it a bit more, I got vista to detect it as a line in. However, setting any options or levels under line in have no effect, I still cannot get sound to output from a line-in source.

I know it works because i can use the windows sound recorder and it will play back line-in input, but i just cant get 'live' audio output from outside sources.

Anyone got any clues?

Back