• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Odd problem with Prescott

SiliconValley

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
226
Okay I am having a strange problem with my pentium 4 530 (3.0Ghz). I am rock solid stable at 3.4Ghz (227x15) with CPU temps of about 38C idle and 55-56C load. Anytime I go high than 3.4, windows incorrectly reports my processor speed as being much less(E.g. 230x15 is reported as 3.19Ghz; 233x15 is reported as 2.3Ghz and so on). CPU-Z correctly reports my CPU frequency and bus speed however. Then When I run Sisoft Sandra Benchmarks, my scores shoot way up (sometimes double my numbers at 3.4Ghz), which I know must be wrong. Any thoughts or ideas as to what is causing these odd problems? Is it time to upgrade my RAM or will I not see much of a difference?

My specs:

ECS PF88 Extreme Hybrid Mainboard
Pentium 4 530 (3.0Ghz)
Samsung DDR2 3200 (512x2) <-- possible probelm?
Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT
Win XP Home
 
Your CPU is throttling back because of high temp's That means A..adjust throttle temp in BIOS if you can. B...you need much better cooling.
 
I thought it might be throttling but I was thrown by the fact that CPU-Z correctly identified my intended frequency. Is 55-56C at load too high for a 3-->3.4Ghz overclock? I'm using a Vortex TX HSF.


Would some arctic silver do the trick or should I go for a better HSF? I believe my case has pretty good airflow. I have an 80mm intake fan right over the CPU and a 120mm doing exhaust + the exhaust on my PSU.

Also, are you sure my RAM being only DDR2 3200 couldn't be the problem?
 
Grab this little program Throttle Watch

Run it for a while and you should be able to tell when your CPU starts to throttle. Then try and find a cooling solution that will keep below the throttle point.
 
RotorHead said:
Grab this little program Throttle Watch

Run it for a while and you should be able to tell when your CPU starts to throttle. Then try and find a cooling solution that will keep below the throttle point.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've been running Prime 95 for the past few hours at 3.4Ghz (227x15) with no problems at all. My temp hasn't gone above 55C yet.
 
I have a p4 prescott 3.0 @ 3.6 and my idles at 51(before overclock it idled at 49.5) and on load 55-56. I think its my heatsink (SP-94) im gettin a SI-120
 
Okay this screenshot should help explain my issues. At 227x15 (3.4Ghz), everything is fine and windows correctly reports my CPU speed. However, at 230x15 and beyond, windows incorrectly reports my CPU speed yet throttle watch indicates that my CPU is not throttling and CPU-Z reports my frequency correctly.

my.php
 
I just noticed that my CPU voltage fluctuates between 1.328 and 1.312 (usually when the load increases). Is this a problem with my PSU?
 
Update: I upped my CPU voltage a bit more and now windows seems to be registering the proper frequency. Running Prime 95 now...
 
Back
Top