Odd problem: WIndows Bluescreens and a BIOS setting changes.

Starcrossed

2[H]4U
I have a Q6600 on an Asus P5E. Oddly, when I leave the PC idle, for some reason it blue screens and reboots. Upon reboot, my BIOS options are actually changed. My SSD, which was originally set to be the boot drive, is replaced by my HDD. When the PC reboots, I get stuck @ boot because my HDD is not bootable. I am actually forced to go into my BIOS and re-set the SSD as the boot. Any ideas? I've already tried different BIOS versions and a new CMOS battery to no avail.

Thx in advance for any help.

=)

Have you ever seen the bsod? Does it stay on long enough to read the message?

My first thought would be that something the bios controls is causing the problem, so when the problem occurs the PC resets bios to defaults in an attempt to keep the problem from repeating and/or damaging the hardware. CPU, RAM, onboard peripherals could be good places to start. Disable non-essential pieces of hardware, remove excess RAM chips and test them one at a time. If it only happens when the PC is idle, maybe there's a CPU power-saving feature that causes it. Find in the bios and disable that. (Either try everything at once and then reverse the steps one at a time or do the steps one thing at a time until a solution is found or you won't really know what fixed it)

Have you ever seen the bsod? Does it stay on long enough to read the message?

My first thought would be that something the bios controls is causing the problem, so when the problem occurs the PC resets bios to defaults in an attempt to keep the problem from repeating and/or damaging the hardware. CPU, RAM, onboard peripherals could be good places to start. Disable non-essential pieces of hardware, remove excess RAM chips and test them one at a time. If it only happens when the PC is idle, maybe there's a CPU power-saving feature that causes it. Find in the bios and disable that. (Either try everything at once and then reverse the steps one at a time or do the steps one thing at a time until a solution is found or you won't really know what fixed it)

I've tried disabling those features to no avail. I'm going to try again, though, just to make sure.

Thx for a reply!

Back