Odd problem, ASRock X99X Killer

CaptainMorgan

[H]ollywood
I've been building a long time, but I need some other minds on this.

Edit: This thing has got me so confused. I disconnect the two case fans, which seemed to result in a more stable operation. At this point, I am almost wondering if the mobo header the rear case fan was plugged into was causing something odd to happen. I have since moved the fans to be on different headers and the system has yet to do a random reboot.

Edit 2: Tried brand new PSU, same issue. That leaves the board or CPU.

I just can understand how initially, it wouldn't even boot, now, with minimal changes, it boots, but then it still was restarting randomly.

Ill have to keep the fans where they are for now, and see if it stays running overnight.

Specs:

ASROCK X99X
i7-6850k
Generic Kingston DDR-4 Ram Edit: Not the ram, tested with a different set.

Basically, assembled the computer, hit power and the unit boots sometimes for a few seconds (no post, beeps or codes) then turns off. Sometimes, it will boot, turn off, boot again and it can be on/off 2x...orrr multiple times.

I've gotten it to actually boot and install windows once, then it turned off randomly after 20 min.

It also seems if I clear the CMOS, MOST of the time it will stay on long enough to show the POST boot options, which then I can go into the BIOS settings and it seems to stay on as long as im in the BIOS tweaker...cancel that, got into the BIOS and it shut down :(

Tried both BIOS "A" and "B".

Things I've tried:

Install latest BIOS
Every config of ram down to no sticks
Nothing but the mobo and CPU plugged in (no GPU, USB Devices, Etc.)

PSU is brand new, tested in another machine.

Could it be a bad CMOS battery? Mobo is obviously a bit older, that's about all I can think to try? Not it either, tried a new battery.

Last edited:
I think you've nailed this down to the motherboard. I've seen some weird stuff like that on a bad motherboard before.

Back