Odd performance drop R9 380

Silentbob343

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently rebuilt a system with an R9 380 and a new SSD running windows 10. Testing in Furmark gets me 84 fps avg.

Installing DX and that drops to 67fps. Anybody have an answer for this. I came across an old thread where the user had the same issue, but no answers.

Sudden drop off in GPU performance/fps - bit-tech.net Forums

I actually installed Windows 10 twice. Performance never came back on the first install even after unistalling everything. On the second install performance did not drop till I installed Borderlands 2.

Running beta crimson drivers at stock clocks, 990MHz core, don't recall memclocks.

Have not tried the older 15.12 drivers, my next step.

Link to my card

GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380 DirectX 12 GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card - Newegg.com

impossible to troubleshoot without seeing whats happening with gpu clocks and usage. Install afterburner and use the osd to display gpu clocks, temp and usage. Testing with Furmark? lol See what happens where it actually matters...like a game. If i had to guess its detecting furmark and droping the clocks to save power (or to protect your card)

impossible to troubleshoot without seeing whats happening with gpu clocks and usage. Install afterburner and use the osd to display gpu clocks, temp and usage. Testing with Furmark? lol See what happens where it actually matters...like a game. If i had to guess its detecting furmark and droping the clocks to save power (or to protect your card)
I know Nvidia does that (dropping clocks on furmark), but does AMD? Havent seen mine do that but I am one person and not really indicative of the whole.

I know mine will use less than full boost clocks on certain programs (power play settings?)...So it wouldn't surprise me. Regardless i would see what effect clockblocker has before downgradeing to older drivers...either way one must actually know what the clocks are doing;)

Mainly using Furmark as a thermal load test on the GPU as I am using mitx cases and want to see worst case scenario.

MSI afterburner installs the DX redistributable which is the cause of the issue. Once the DX redistributable gets installed, whether by MSI afterburner or a game, the FPS drops in Furmark. For the before tests I am relying on Furmark to report the gpu clocks, for the after I was using both furmark and afterburner. I'll double check to make sure they line up, but I don't believe there is throttling occurring. Happens with 3 versions of drivers.

It is odd because as another poster in the link I provided mentions furmark is OGL so not sure why the redistributable would cause an issue. Anyway it is what it is, but was curious if anyone here had an answer or experienced the same thing.

Well i would at least check performance in something other than just furmark....amd drivers have a less than stellar record for opengl performance to begin with. Ill use wolf new Order as an example..I Recently played thru again and performance was ok....But i hardly ever had gpu usage over 90%.... Run some tests with firestrike and you should end up around 8k points with a little overclocking

Back