• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Odd Overclocking Behavior on 4870x2

Darksabre

n00b
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
6
So, I have a watercooled 4870x2 that I've been playing around with for a while now, and after downloading Rivatuner 2.11, I've noticed something strange. In the main menu, there are 4 dropdown options for the Target Adapter

ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 / Plug and Play Adapter
ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 / Default Monitor
ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 / (Default Monitor)
ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 / (Default Monitor)

Kinda strange, but whatever. Now, when I select the first one, it sees the default core/memory speed, and allows me to set them to whatever I wish (I set it to 820/950 for now). But, I assume that's only overclocking the first GPU.

When I go and select the second Target Adapter in the list, it shows the current speeds as being 507/500. Strange... Whenever I try and edit the low-level gpu/mem clock speeds to anything using rivatuner, it Test's fine, but when I hit apply, it lags for a few seconds, then sets the speeds right back to 507/500 every time.

If i go to CCC and look at the speed settings, it shows as 507/500 also. Is rivatuner not a good tool for the 4870x2's yet?

Edit:
OS - Windows XP Pro SP3
Card - Sapphire 4870x2
 
Update: So, I overclocked the first GPU to 820/950, and I left the hardware monitor running in the background. GPU one shows a steady 820/950 regardless of whats running, while GPU two shows 507/500. Then I started up GRID for a few minutes and exited. I noticed that, while GRID was running, the clock speeds on the second GPU went from 507/500 to 790/987.50 with 99% GPU usage. The first GPU stayed teh same 820/950.

Sooo, it would appear that the second gpu sits at 507/500 while there is no 3D activity detected. I guess the new question here is, how do I set what that clock/memory speed will be while a 3d app is running? GPU one is behaving nicely, but GPU two seems unsettable. Anyone successfully oc'd one of these with rivatuner?
 
I'd like to know as well. I'm building right now and plan to water cool and over clock the 4870x2
as well. If this doesn't get answered I'll let you know how mine reacts to OCing.
 
are you doing the 3d driver level overclock or 2d drive level overclock? there should be a drop down at the top of the overclock thing that allows you to choose which overclock you do.. you might of changed the 2d overclock on gpu1 and changed the 3d overclock on gpu2.. thats just my guess.. but if you have overdrive installed you should be able to overclock with your CCC..
 
I did some overclocking the other day and also couldn't get rivatuner working properly. People use it with the X2 but that proper use is eluding us. What I did was flash the card with the Asus Top bios, which allows the CCC to go up to 900/1000. My card seemed to handle 852/1000 just fine.
 
Hmm, ever since downloading the "hotfix" for Farcry 2 (hotfix_xp32-64_8-551-1-71311.exe) rivatuner wont let me overclock either core at all. CCC only lets me O/C so much, and on water cooling, it doesnt even heat up the card on a max CCC overclock.

I might try your BIOS flash idea and see how that turns out.

Thanks for the replies
 
Back
Top