• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Odd noise coming from CPU fan

option141

Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
880
Ok, so i have a ZALMAN CNPS7000B copper heatsink/fan, and whenever i start my comp from a cold start up it makes this kinda ''whining'' noise. I've narrowed it down to the ballbearings not getting enough oil/lube at the beginning, then it stops about 1 minute after startup once the oil/lube has worked around.

how can i stop this? i'm afraid my fan might explode or something =p do i just get some WD-40 and spray that somewhere?
 
No. I don't know what Zalman uses in there fans for lube, but I am sure it is not WD-40. I have the same problem with my stock AMD fan right now, but I am installing my Thermalright SI-97 soon. So as soon as I do that I will take a look and see what is causing it.

Someone will be along shortly that can help you out, but as far as I know, DON'T put WD-40 in/on it.
 
yea i didnt plan on doing anything until there was a consenses (sp sucks)

thanks though =p
 
Peel back the label on the fan, add a small drop or two of "3 in 1 oil ", or something similar.

GL :)
 
Papa-Ming said:
Peel back the label on the fan, add a small drop or two of "3 in 1 oil ", or something similar.

GL :)
I've got a little needle dispenser that I got from a hobby shop that sells model airplanes. It's full of a very light oil....and works fine for fans. Go with a very light oil on the bearing and let it spin / work in for a while. Should be fine.....

Regards - B.B.S.
 
BlindedByScience said:
I've got a little needle dispenser that I got from a hobby shop that sells model airplanes. It's full of a very light oil....and works fine for fans. Go with a very light oil on the bearing and let it spin / work in for a while. Should be fine.....

Regards - B.B.S.

I agree with BlindedByScience.....
 
Papa-Ming said:
Peel back the label on the fan, add a small drop or two of "3 in 1 oil ", or something similar.

GL :)

today i finally decided to do this, pulled back the label and its SOLID PLASTIC. lol

any ideas where i put this oil?
 
Back
Top