• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Odd "Mess" made by old arctic silver??

jtzako

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
299
So today I was working on my CPU heat issues and took my Stock Heatsync off my processor.. And what I found amazed me..

The Arctic Silver 3 I had installed per their instructions several months back had spread out and even gone over the edges of the processor a bit. The stuff looked "cooked" as if It was not really working properly. Now I'm wondering if something is wrong with that tube of Arctic Silver 3 I had..

I went and got some new AS5 and completely cleaned up the old stuff and put on a fresh bit of AS5. Now my CPU is running in the high 40s C when in games instead of low 60s C.
 
if you wait a bit the temps should go down a bit more cause of the AS-break-in period.

I have no idea if it should look like that or not, maybe thats what happens when it seeps into the chip. doubt it though.

You probably just exceeded the cooling life of it.
 
Well its only been a few months since I installed that processor.. Plus it should look like a round smudge on the CPU and Heatsync, this stuff was completely covering the top of the CPU and was even off the edges a bit. I dont see how it could wear out that fast but I sure hope it is meant to last alot longer than a few months..
 
Sounds as if you put to much on :eek:
AS5 Thermal paste should not be thopught of as a "blanket" compound.
The stuff works on the microscopic level.
In the best of worlds, Candide, the two surfaces would be completely flat and would require no compound at all.
But things aren't perfect so the paste fills in all those nooks and crannys and microscopic voids.
Remember less or just enough is best!
Once along time ago I put to much AS on and and created an air pocket which really furballed my temps
 
When I originally installed it they suggested a "BB" sized drop on the CPU.. I dont see how that endedup making the mess I found lol. I've only used that particular tube of AS3 once (on this computer) so my only guess is that its a bad one.
 
if it sits around for awhile it will seperate.
In the words of Yogi Bearer
if you need some
you have to need it first :p
 
Back
Top