Odd Memtest86 Results

wazooda

Weaksauce
I've been running Win 7 x64 rock solid stable with 8gig for about a year.

In the past week, I get daily BSOD errors linked to hal.dll. Did a fresh install and same issues.

Today I ran Memtest for about 4 hours. After about 2 hours or so, I noticed that it had made 4 passes with zero errors.

I then had to leave the house and when I returned, the screen looked like the attached picture (sorry for the quality... my cam phone sucks). The program was still running, but I could no longer read how many passes had been completed.

Wondering if by looking at this screen shot, does anyone have a guess what the problem might be?

Thanks!

2012-11-16_13-29-08_142.jpg

First I would check the video card, usually random characters and artifacts in my experience is a GPU going bad.

Try doing test with one ram stick at a time in different slots to see if its RAM or the slots.

It's possible there was a slight power surge or dropout, but maybe the memory holding MemTest86 itself was bad. That has happened with diagnostics.

Who made the chips used by Corsair, what is their rated speed, and what's Corsair's rated speed for the modules? If the Corsair has heatsinks, you can bet the chips are no-name or overclocked.

Back