Odd mark on the screen

Noran

n00b
Joined
Nov 23, 2010
Messages
21
Hi there. I recently went through a bad case of the Dell lottery buying a U2311, and landed on a good one. Fast forward a couple weeks later, I find a strange mark on the top right side of the screen. I'm not sure what to make of it but it's not a scratch or gouge. Anyone seen something like this before?

Sorry the pic isn't that good
http://img52.imageshack.us/i/img0198av.jpg/
 
is it a piece of plastic sticking out? see if you can move it...
 
I couldn't move it or clean it off. It's behind the panel I think, and seems to shift around when I look at it from different angles, like a super localized version of IPS glow.
 
A dust spec that had entered the panel assembly - trapped behind the back polarizer typically - either during manufacture or afterwards. It's more often seen with laptops, since they are shaken back and forth, tilted, and may be used in a more dusty environment.
You'd have to open the panel assembly in a completely clean room, but it is definitely not recommended - it will void any waranty, and if you're not extremely carefull, one or more bonded connectors at the edge of the TFT layer may break and leave you with dead horisontal and vertical lines.
I once contacted an LCD manufacturer regarding this - and they offered to open the panel and clean it properly, for a very small fee. Maybe LG can do this, if it is really bothersome and Dell refuses to do anything.
 
From my experiences with Dell it shouldn't be too difficult to get it replaced.
 
I'll call up Dell. I've passed the 30day warranty period, so I risk getting a replacement that's refurbished. Out of all my replacements so far, this one is the best in terms of uniformity and I'm afraid to get another that's worse again.
 
I'd recommend not buying a panel with just a 30 day warranty! I'm just paranoid like that tho!
 
Back
Top