odd issue with new build

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
Hey guys I helped a friend spec out the following build last week;

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (stock oem cooler)
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA
Antec NEO 520w psu

He is running win7 64-bit all updated.

He was having random shutoffs after 15-30 mins of gaming. I asked him if he has the cpu cooler hooked up correctly he said yes. He left the side off his case and put a big fan blowing on it and was able to play for 2-3 hours without issue. So, to me it looks like a cpu over heat. He assured me he removed the plastic from the cooler. I said what about the locking collar? He wasn't sure because its his first amd build.

Thoughts?

TIA!

I would advise him to reseat the stock cooler to ensure contact and check his CPU temp with a 3rd party software like CoreTemp.

I would advise him to reseat the stock cooler to ensure contact and check his CPU temp with a 3rd party software like CoreTemp.

+1.

I dont know what case he has but it may not have proper circulation. Personally, I also never use the stock HSF, even if not overclocking. $30 for a CM 212+ is cheap for an awesome cooler.

Look if your heatsink is properly installed. After that you can take coretemp or hwmonitor to watch the temp of the cpu. Use Prime95 and look the temps, in this way you'll be sure if the heatsink is ok. If you want to switch the heatsink, the hyper 212+ is a good choice.

Back