Odd IP given by router.

• Thread starter Deleted member 79192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79192

I reformatted a laptop for someone and they needed to reconnect to their home network. They had the local ISP set up a wireless router for them and they don't know which brand it is (they don't really know much about computers in general). Therefore I have no idea how to go in and reset the password, I don't know the default IP address of the router. It gives out a DHCP of 216.121.163.82 though (not 192.168.x.x). A quick google search didn't turn anything up, does anybody know what kind of router gives out this type of address?

Cogeco is their ISP? That IP isn't their public IP address is it? It resolves to a cgocable.net FQDN.

Yup, Cogeco is the ISP. I didn't think it mattered. I at first thought "oh they're connected directly to the modem" because that's what it looks like. But no they get a wireless signal throughout the house. Perhaps it's an odd combo unit?

Cogeco's web site says they don't support routers, so hmm. Maybe they have a combo cablemodem/wireless router? Best bet is to have someone crawl around and get the model of the cablemodem and google that.

lol don't support routers. We have them and use a WRT54G running DD-WRT. That doesn't make any sense for any ISP to not support routers. Alrighty then looks like I'll have to go pay another visit and do some crawling around. Ugh I was hoping it could be simply done over TeamViewer.

'Support' as in provide technical support for. 8)
I can't believe to imagine the amount of Googling and handholding needed to support the routers out there.

Okay that makes more sense... Man that's a ridiculous claim for an ISP to make. "We don't support routers." What lazy bastards.

Thanks for the help. :3

216.x.x.x is part of the public IP class.

usually on a router it will tell you, Brand, default IP, MAC and default password.

you can generally look them up if you find out the brand.

another option is to perform a hard rest on the device and set it back to the default which is normally a combo of... user: admin pass:password
or 1 of the 2 is blank etc.

It could also be that the ISP does the DHCP and they disabled the DHCP server on their home router. That is a dumb option considering the world is kinda hurtin for public IPs.

and where are you getting the IP from? if it is from a website that will report the public IP. If you do a ipconfig /all in the command prompt it will tell you your IP address associated with the NIC and if it still has the public IP it means your router has DHCP turned off.

What does the default gateway say when you do "ipconfig /all" on the reformatted laptop? Try to connect to the wireless device with that IP address.

Back