Odd HDD Issue

Nielo TM

Gawd
Today when I was re-installing Windows 7, the system restarted as usual but froze during POST with B2 on the bottom right. Most Intel boards have a letter accompanied by number that flashes during post (bottom-right), but on my system, it got stuck in B2.

I've tried removing the Pioneer DVD SATA cable but with no avail. The reason I removed the SATA cable is because after the BIOS update (two months ago), the DVD and HDD (both SATA) had problem functioning together so I downgraded the BIOS to an earlier version (soon after) hoping the problems would disappear.

Then I replugged the DVD SATA and tried disconnecting the Hitachi HDD and the system booted up perfectly. Thinking the Hitachi was dead, I tried it on my Bro's PC and surprisingly it booted up fine.

I then tried a spare WD HDD with my system and it booted up without any issues. I even installed Win7 on it. However, when I tried the Hitachi, it got stuck in POST again.

I am completely puzzled by this. Why is WD working on my system when the Hitachi is not. After all, the Hitachi functioned perfectly for a year without any issues and continues to function on my Bro's PC.

The mainboard in question is an Intel DP43TF with BIOS version 0106. If you need any further information, I am happy to provide it.

Last edited:
This is strange

Just an hour ago, I was reinstalling Windows 7 on my second system. After auto restart, the system froze before POST. There was an underscore on the top-left corner but it was static.

I tried changing the GPU and no avail. I then removed the SATA from the HDD and the system booted up fine.

I then tried the HDDon my other PC via USB docking station and it seems to operate just fine.

I am completely puzzled by this. If you are aware of this issue, please let me know ASAP! Maybe the HDD is on the verge of failure, but this happened twice already on two different systems with different HDD and main board. In addition, it just happens so I was re-installing Windows 7. The failure occurred just after the first auto restart.

PS; The mainboard on my second PC is also designed by Intel (DP35DP) and the HDD in question is WD Black

Last edited:
I think I've found the issue,

The problem was caused by Windows itself (most likely during partitioning).

I've plugged in the WB black into the dock and deleted the partitions and the boots just fine:confused:

Back