odd driver problem in vista

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
I've been happily chugging along with 32-bit vista ultimate for the past year. Unfortunately, this summer something seems to have bugged out: vista can't properly install drivers for my digital camera.

In the past, accessing my digital camera (canon powershot A510) was a cinch: plug it in, turn it on, and vista recognizes it and 'looks' for drivers and the camera is then accessible as, what else, a camera, in windows explorer. This is something expected.

However this summer, vista decided it didn't want to cooperate anymore: it still recognizes the camera as a powershot A510, but insists that it should search for drivers, then can't find drivers, and then proceeds to tell me that installation of the camera drivers has failed. And thus I can't access the camera.

This is not simply a problem exclusive to this camera: I've tried plugging in a nikon coolpix S1 and get the same problem. Further: I've even plugged in a card reader and get the same issue (though oddly enough, if I boot the system with the card reader already plugged in, vista can access any memory cards put into the reader, despite the fact that it still nags about drivers needing installation). My vista is a legit copy and is fully updated.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix? I've googled, searched the MS knowledge base, and searched the [H] forums and found either no solution, or solutions that did not fix the problem (running registry mechanic, for instance).

It sounds like one of two things. Either you have a USB issue that could be resolved with new chipset drivers, or the cameras are set into "webcam" mode, as opposed to "storage" mode. Two of my Canon cameras have a setting that allows the camera to work almost like a webcam, and that prevents the memory card from being accessed like a storage drive.

thanks for the input.

update: this problem seems to extend to all usb plug and play devices. If I simply move my USB mouse to a different port, I'll get the same problem (although the mouse will still undoubtedly work fine).

Back