Odd connectivity problem with windows 7

candy76man

Weaksauce
I have windows7 home 64bit on my system that has a MSI p55 mobo. the mobo has two realtek network adapters built in. I recently installed windows and everything worked fine but after roxio 10 updated itself I suddenly have no internet whenever I restart the system. The internet starts working again if I swap the rg6 cable to the other network adapter or if I go in and disable and re enable the adapter it's plugged into at the time so I it seems something is preventing the network adapter from connecting to my router on startup.

Any ideas on how to approach this??
I have disabled everything except my av program in the startup tab and I have installed the latest network adapter drivers from realtek. I will see if I can uninstall the roxio update but I'm not sure if thats possible. I also may try a rollback of the system and see if that clears it up but I'm hopeing someone has seen this problem and could help.

I'm not sure the roxio update caused the problem but that is the last major change before this problem showed up so..

Tried to remove the roxio update but I couldn't find any way to do that. I also restored windows back to a date before the issue started and it connected on it's own after that first restart but it's back to doing the same thing on subsequent restarts.

Try removing roxio completely? Though I don't see how it would be screwing up your network connections.

I believe I found the problem. I reinstalled windows since my last post above and everything was working fine and then today I shutdown when it said it had some windows updates to install and when I rebooted the problem was back again same as described above. So I figured it has to be the update it just installed so I went add remove programs and found what it had just installed and it was these two windows updates:
MSXML 4.0 sp2 (KB973688)
MSXML 4.0 sp2 (KB954430)

I uninstalled the first one, rebooted and my network adapters are working fine again, they connect on startup.

Any idea why that update kills my network cards ability to connect on startup?
Its the built in adapters on my MSI P55 GD65 mobo ......Realtek PCIe GBE family controller is what they are both named in device manager.

Back