Odd behavior from PSU

tjwilco

n00b
If I unplug or switch the power off on the back of the power supply to work on or move my system it doesn't like to turn back on. With everything plugged in properly I will switch it on and get maybe a half second of fans spinning up etc indicating that it is working. However when I press the power button on the case that is connected to the motherboard I get nothing. I noticed that by turning the power supply off and back on I can get the power supply to respond. Sometimes doing it once resolves this but sometimes I need to go through this dance of power supply switch, case power button, etc, several times before it will begin working.

This only happens if the switch on the back of the power supply is turned off or the computer is unplugged. Once the power supply has started responding it will work perfectly until there is a need to move or work on the computer.

I was hoping someone might have an explanation to this type of behavior or maybe a way to fix it. Hate to buy a new power supply when this one works fine the majority of the time.

Thanks

It is a 300w power supply which is around 2 years old. I can't say brand as the sticker is no longer on the psu, it either fell off or was removed by the previous owner. :( I guess you run into these problems buying used items, but it was well worth getting an entire computer for $40.

I read over the site you posted, a good resource for someone who doesn't know much about power. It reinforced my original thoughts that maybe some signals were getting lost, either the psu isn't letting the mobo know it's ok to start or the mobo's signal to turn on isn't getting to the psu. Because of the behavior I'm leaning to the conclusion that the power ok signal isn't getting to the mb.

It looks like I'm in need of a new psu. Any opinions on this conclusion or on the risk of continuing to use this psu till I can get a new one?

well considering that its been doing OK for this long
and the likely power requirements of a $40 computer
Id say thats a good guess, cheap PSU often dont do anything but a halfassed job in the Power Good Department

you might sleep sounder with a better supply
and there are likely some pretty affordable high quality models considering the likely requirements
but Id like to try to determine those
so what are you powering?

also keep in mind that its still likely going to be half to 2\3rds the cost of the whole computer :p

AMD XP 1800+
GEFORCE 2 MX-400
512MB PC133 ram
OPTORITE 52x24x52x CD-R/RW
MAXTOR 20GIG
FLOPPY
80MM CASE FANS x2

I've upgraded the cpu and added the cd burner since buying it. It has been a great secondary system for friends and family to use or to burn a cd while doing other things on the main system.

I wouldn't mind a suggestion for a good psu for my main system too. I'm not of fan of the one it is currently using.

AMD XP 2400+
MSI K7N2
512MB SAMSUNG PC2700 x2
GEFORCE FX 5600 ULTRA
40GIG MAXTOR x2
30GIG WESTERN DIGITAL
SAMSUNG 52X CDROM
FLOPPY
80MM CASE FANS x3

current psu in this system came with the case and can be seen here http://www.turboled.com/productdetails.aspx?productID=73

Future plans for this system include a 6600gt when they are available in AGP and possibly replacing the current 3 HDs with a single 200gig HD.

thanks for the help.

well I added up my power utilization on my main rig and got this...

3.3V line -- 2.4A
5V line -- 17.2A
12V line --14.6A

my current psu is rated for 14A on the 12V line so it looks like it is inadequate. It does look like it would be an adequate replacement for the smaller system's psu. So I'm looking at getting this....

Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430"

and making that hand-me-down exchange.

Considering my case temp is between 35c and 40c am I leaving myself enough room on the 12V line? Should I consider stepping up to the 480w version? (student budget here)

I was looking at this MGE psu until I noticed it in the "Do not buy" section of computerpro3's thread. Guess I'll just have to buy the supplies and sleeve it myself.

Back