• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

OCZ vs. G.Skill (models inside)

b00gieMan

n00b
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
18
Hey guyz...

As you must have gone thru my previous thread asking for a RAM suggestion..

I've set my eyes on 2 RAMs:
- OCZ HPC Reaper PC2-6400
and
- G.SKILL F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI
..........................................................Both Costing approximately same.

Whoz the winner...which one to go for? or is there any other better suggestion?? If yes then please suggest.

System am using atm:
E8400
Abit ix38 QuadGT
Corsair XMS2 (Selling It Soon)
evga 8800GT KO 512mb


Pour in your suggestions....THANKS in advance.
 
ive got the reaperX - brilliant kit.

great support with OCZ forums.

what more could you ask?!
 
I was in a similar situation...I went with the Reapers. Have always had OCZ and they have never failed me.
 
I have used both. Both companies have treated me very well. Choose either on looks or price, as performance will be there either way.
 
damn.. lol !!! you guys are supposed to help me out.. you are creating more dilemma for me :p

Gskil specific model that i've mentioned is 1000Mhz @ 2.1v

OCZ Reaper PC2-6400 is 800Mhz @ 2.1v

....now tell me does that make any difference in helping me out :rolleyes:
 
Well anything above 800mhz is overclocked from the 800mhz ic's anyway. So even if you went to pc8500 you still have 800mhz ic chips but just overclocked and warrentied to run at those specs. Mostly only thing changing from the matter is a bit more volts and higher timings.

Get the one you like they are both good if one looks better and you like get that one, ram is dirt cheap so it is a win win pick anyway.

Good Day
 
If you plan on overclocking higher than 400FSB or running your RAM higher than 800MHz, the G.Skill would be the better way to go. If you'll be running at stock, it doesn't really make a difference. I'm going with a G.Skill DDR2-1000 kit because I'll be overclocking, but if I wasn't or if OCZ had a price-competitive kit of faster RAM, I'd just as soon have gone with them instead.
 
some R and D on the net.. also says that RAMs @ 1000Mhz dont OC much or cant be OC'd at all?? :-s thz what making me change my mind again...

2ndly the timing of GSkill tht i've specified is @ 5-5-5 and OCZ Reaper PC2-6400 is @ 4-4-4
 
some R and D on the net.. also says that RAMs @ 1000Mhz dont OC much or cant be OC'd at all?? :-s thz what making me change my mind again...

2ndly the timing of GSkill tht i've specified is @ 5-5-5 and OCZ Reaper PC2-6400 is @ 4-4-4

Well, the thing is that the G.Skill is guaranteed to run at 500MHz with its recommended settings. The OCZ on the other hand may not make it to that speed. Also, the OCZ is rated 4-4-4 at 400MHz, whereas the G.Skill is rated for 500MHz. I doubt the OCZ could run 4-4-4 at 500MHz, if it could run at 500MHz altogether. It really depends on how much you plan on overclocking.
 
Hey guyz...

As you must have gone thru my previous thread asking for a RAM suggestion..

I've set my eyes on 2 RAMs:
- OCZ HPC Reaper PC2-6400
and
- G.SKILL F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI
..........................................................Both Costing approximately same.

Whoz the winner...which one to go for? or is there any other better suggestion?? If yes then please suggest.

System am using atm:
E8400
Abit ix38 QuadGT
Corsair XMS2 (Selling It Soon)
evga 8800GT KO 512mb


Pour in your suggestions....THANKS in advance.

Where are you looking to buy the G.SKILL F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI at???

The only place I can find it is HERE, and it seems awfully expensive...
 
Well i put it too you this way. I have two kits of this G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK so 4 1 gig sticks and the default rate was 4-4-3-5 for the timings and it would do 1050 @ 4-4-3-5 timings without a flaw. These had the "promo" ic's on them, so that is food for thought there.........

Good Day
 
The g in gskill stands for got dam gskill. ocz ram rules.Reaper style baby.
1200 MHZ all day long.
 
Dam noobs.The only thing gskill is good for is scraping ice off your windshield in the winter time.
 
G.Skill fan here........The reason they call it Reaper it gets so hot it will melt ice hanging from your balls.
 
:)G.Skill here:).......Reaper:cool: they mean ripster ever time you look @ it You feel like you got ripped up the arse:cool:............It gets so hot cant touch that AMD chip by the way.
 
I went to a bunch of websites for memory reviews and I found at stocks speeds there doesn't seem to much of a difference to me (if you want to point out I'm wrong, be my guest). In any case, I saw some websites said the A-Data and Mushkin were a little slower but that's it.

I ordered some OCZ "special ops" (lol) RAM because of the price.
 
The only brands I've seen ragged over and over on DDR2 have been Crucial (those Ballistix are terribly unreliable) and A-Data (maybe they used Micron chips?). Enjoy your OCZ RAM. If it doesn't work, they have good service.
 
The only brands I've seen ragged over and over on DDR2 have been Crucial (those Ballistix are terribly unreliable) and A-Data (maybe they used Micron chips?). Enjoy your OCZ RAM. If it doesn't work, they have good service.

Good service, ORLY? Thanks for reminding me. I was kind of wondering about compatibility issues because the memory configurator on the OCZ website did not have the most recent Asus motherboards. I found that very weird. Anyway, I ordered an Asus M3A78-EM (if I remember correctly). :cool:
 
+1 for gskill, ram has been great and no problems whatsoever, runs stable at stock 1.8v ddr2-800 and their forums are great for support, got an answer to my question from a gskill rep within an hour.
 
Back
Top