OCZ Vertex 3/ Vertex 2 Reliability

rei1574

Gawd
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
517
Hey guys,

Can you share your experiences with OCZ in the reliability department?

I was interested in the V3 MaxIOPS drive, but after reading these reviews I am a bit concerned:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Vertex-2-5-Inch-Solid-VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G/dp/B004W7D6RQ/ref=cm_rdp_product"]Amazon.com: OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive MAX IOPS 6.0 Gb-s VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410TjqeD18L.@@AMEPARAM@@410TjqeD18L[/ame]

Any personal experience with these OCZ drives? I know there was an issue with the Sandforce controller causing BSODs, but was curious if anyone on here had some first hand experience.

I'll be upgrading from a 40gb kingston SSDnow (rebaged Intel drive).

Thanks
 
I would stay away from all Sandforce drives until they get rid of the throttling back of performance after you hit some write threshold.
 
Also, the latest V3 firmware (2.06) seems to have a lot of problems for some people.
 
My results with the new drive are mixed. My first V3 Max IOPS lasted 2 days before it bricked. The replacement has been trouble free for over 6 weeks.

There have been a lot of problems with the V3, but that appears to be fairly normal for the release of a new version of a SSD with OCZ.

You need to visit the OCZ support forum and read about the problems. A new Firmware 2.09 is supposed to be out today to hopefully fix most of the problems.

If it were me I would wait a few days and see how the new firmware responds.
 
I bought an OCZ vertex 2 in February. 2 weeks later, the drive started showing some corruption. While the drive mounted, it was not possible to write to it, the filesystem complaining that it was corrupted. Formatting the drive did not solve the issues.

Got an RMA, and a month later, my drive just died after showing mild corruption. The drive won't even be recognized by my computer.

I bought this OCZ to replace an intel X-25M because I ran out of space. I think i'm going back to an intel because the old SSD is still rocking.
 
ive had my ocz vertex 2 60gb since august last year and had no issues with it.
 
Back
Top