OCZ RevoDrive 230GB (PCI-e x4 SSD) - $229.99 (MIR)

I wonder how many chips they could have fit on there if it were the length of a modern graphics card?

The MIR is $50 for those who do not want to have to click the link to figure the up front out of pocket cost.

was thinking about this but not sure how much faster than my 128gb corsair sata ssd this would be.

Because it is an old sandforce controller, this Revodrive will only be as fast as some modern SSD's now. About 500-500mb's read/write. While that's not bad performance at all, especially with the fact that its a 230g drive at 1gb/$, I don't see it being worth the extra effort you have to put into making this thing work and stuff. Also, it does not have TRIM support, so meh.

However, it is a 230gb ssd for 1gb/$ so.. that's really really nice by itself.

Because it is an old sandforce controller, this Revodrive will only be as fast as some modern SSD's now. About 500-500mb's read/write. While that's not bad performance at all, especially with the fact that its a 230g drive at 1gb/$, I don't see it being worth the extra effort you have to put into making this thing work and stuff. Also, it does not have TRIM support, so meh.

However, it is a 230gb ssd for 1gb/$ so.. that's really really nice by itself.

It's significantly faster than SATA based drives for people with SATA 3GB/s motherboards.

It's significantly faster than SATA based drives for people with SATA 3GB/s motherboards.

Well yeah, I am not arguing that one bit. I guess in my head, when I said "modern" I also assumed SATA3 connectivity, but I guess it wasn't implied.

Yes, someone with an older motherboard will get very nice performance out of those compared to what they can get from an SSD with SATA2 connection.

Your link doesn't work. I'm assuming you mean this the Mushkin Scorpion.

I am. [H] seems to have filtered out the first part of my link.. I guess its a competing review site? -- but really, this shows more on the insecurity of [H], imho =/

Well yeah, I am not arguing that one bit. I guess in my head, when I said "modern" I also assumed SATA3 connectivity, but I guess it wasn't implied.

Yes, someone with an older motherboard will get very nice performance out of those compared to what they can get from an SSD with SATA2 connection.

I'm not trying to disagree with you tbh, just pointing out that there is a market for this thing...as a dinosaur still rocking their 1366 sata-II system. I've actually got a 256gb samsung 830 installed atm, and think of what a waste it is on my sata-II board.

Good deal. I paid $220 for my 180 less than 6 months ago. I'm stuck with sata2 ports, so 500mb/s is a nice bump up.

I'm not trying to disagree with you tbh, just pointing out that there is a market for this thing...as a dinosaur still rocking their 1366 sata-II system. I've actually got a 256gb samsung 830 installed atm, and think of what a waste it is on my sata-II board.

I take it that you are somewhat waiting on IB?

I am. [H] seems to have filtered out the first part of my link.. I guess its a competing review site? -- but really, this shows more on the insecurity of [H], imho =/

You could probably use a url shortener to get around the filter.

I take it that you are somewhat waiting on IB?

Yep. "Somewhat" is absolutely correct too, I'll build an IB system when it comes out, but it's not as if this first gen i7 isn't doing everything I ask of it (aside from supporting SATA-III).

Because it is an old sandforce controller, this Revodrive will only be as fast as some modern SSD's now. About 500-500mb's read/write.

I love this part. :p

Honestly, can you even differentiate between 230MB/s vs 500MB/s on a daily basis? :confused:

I love this part. :p

Honestly, can you even differentiate between 230MB/s vs 500MB/s on a daily basis? :confused:

Well.. when you are talking about a product like the RevoDrive, you are not going to be talking about daily basis normal computing.

It's like saying "I am going to get 2x 7970's in crossfire and play on my 1680x1050 monitor." That was more of a comment toward those that might want a revo drive for that ridiculous performance - to let them understand that this isn't one of those revo's that do 1200mb read/write.

Back