OCZ Ram and P4 System

rayg

Limp Gawd
I found some Ram I'd like to put in my current P4 System (2.8C), and I plan on overclocking it. Will this ram work well and let me overclock? I have corsair xms 2700 in it right now at 229 fsb 5:4 ratio. Will I be able to get more out of it with this ram?

unfortunetly I can't afford more than $200 for a gig of ram, and I was wondering if this was the best my money could buy for $200. If i could spend more i could get the twinx :)

Originally posted by rayg
unfortunetly I can't afford more than $200 for a gig of ram, and I was wondering if this was the best my money could buy for $200. If i could spend more i could get the twinx :)

I'm sure you can find other brands for less than $200. Just don't give any money to OCZ.

Am i missing something? What is so bad about OCZ?

A very very LONG history of lying, deceit, and ripping off customers. They are the Enron of the parts industry. They also more recently, even after having "new management" they have been found to be paying off reviewers and selling overclocked memory with fake labels on it.

Am i missing something? What is so bad about OCZ?

OCZ has a very bad reputation and even though they have gotten better their RAM still causes more errors if benchmarked against brands like Mushkin and Kingston. OCZ may be able to overclock well in reviews and is a popular brand in adds but how far can it overclock error free? The error free speed is the only speed that matters. And in alot of reviews i've seen that have tested for errors, especially in MaximumPC the OCZ couldn't run to spec to error free.

You can get Mushkin PC3200 lvl 1 1GB kit for a mere $213. There are definitely other name brand options for around $200.

As an OCZ employee, I must stress that we do anything it takes to make our customers happy.

Try blind calling us some time and talking with a support rep. OCZ has done a lot to improve our reputation and I feel that attacks on our reputation at this point are for incidents that happened ages ago. Our product quality is among the best in the industry as well.

I said this many times, but if anybody has, or ever has had, problems with OCZ products, please let me know.

-Sean

Sean maybe people have let go of OCZ's problems but If I was an owner of a company. I would blind order from newegg and I would have boughten some OCZ ultra2 thermal compound. It just seems like OCZ really hasnted upped there rep considering they waited to recall the compound till AFTER it was testest and posted all over the web.

And if i had the money id buy a few sets of OCZ and benchmark them and test them for errors at all speeds.

I dont think any of us mind admitting we are wrong. But I dont wanna see soemthing posted on the internet saying its good, many people have been "screwed" by OCZ and they just dont wanna come back and they wont reccomend it

I completely understand your frustration. We have very few defective units of the thousands we sell worldwide and of the defective units that are shipped we take care of those customers immediately and ship out RMA'd RAM the day of the RMA if the customer requests a cross ship.

As for the Ultra 2 recall, I am really dissapointed as well, but I feel that by offering customers a new tube of AS5, a T-shirt and memory discount voucher we did our best to take care of the issue.

Feel free to toss your comments my way, I don't mind, but keep the personal attacks to a minimum, I seem to get a ton from HardForum but nowhere else.

Originally posted by OCTech
Feel free to toss your comments my way, I don't mind, but keep the personal attacks to a minimum, I seem to get a ton from HardForum but nowhere else.

Thats because here at Hardforum we take alot of hardware to the next level alot of other sites never do. And i've been on quite a few hardware forums but HardOCP has always stood out in the mix for being pretty much #1 as far as hardware goes.

Alot of the other sites just run the memory and never actually fully test it. I'm not saying OCZ doesn't have some descent RAM but i dont compare it as far as quality to Mushkin or Corsair. I would compare it to something like Geil. I've had OCZ in a few systems that i've built for others because they have requested it and i've seen quite a few reviews for it and the ones that actually know how to test memory for errors have pointed out that at least the PC4000 has a very hard time even running its rated speed error free. I use memtest86 for 24 hours on every system i build and if it causes one single error in that entire time there is something wrong with that DIMM. MaximumPC used Ultra-X RAM tester which is a hardware RAM tester used in a PCI slot and they showed the OCZ PC4000 performing the worst out of the others in that it couldn't run its rated speed error free while the Mushkin and Kingston did well over their rated speed error free.

Back