OCZ PSU's any good?

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend of mine bought a 450w OCZ PSU and I seem to remember reading something negative about this PSU but I can't remeber what it was exactly. It's a nice looking PSU with modular cables but I see PC P&C says that modular cables add resistance so they don't recomend modular PSU's.

I had the Modstream 520 and I found the rails a little weak for heavy load. Also the radius that the cables allowed pissed me off on more than one occasion .

If you want a great PSU for a decent price that you will have for a long time try the OCZ powerstream 520.

I have 2 600w Powerstreams and I love them.

It's not for me, I was just looking for opinions on what a friend bought. I already have a Seasonic S12-600. :) I seem to difinately remember reading of some issue that some people had with this Modstream PSU, just can't remember what it was. Maybe they have beefed it up since then.

There's a strong contigency on the boards who say the OCZ's units are good, but there are better for less if you do your homework. This seems to be quite true, but for what its worth I bought mine in hopes of not having compatibility issues with my DFI mobo, and it works like a dream. Nickel finish is nice not that it makes a fuck.

You likely will have the same experience, though you may well be able to save a few bucks over the OCZ model.

This is a ModStream right? Could you provide a Newegg link or something similar to the PSU?

Edit: What exactly is it your asking anyway?

The Modstream is a Topower P5 based PSU...teh powerstrema is a P6 based and is by far the better unit. It really kind of depends on what you are going to be using it in...but there are better modulars available.

I've got a 600W PowerStream powering my X2 4400+/7800 GTX/other stuff, no problems. :)

I've got a Lian Li PC-71, so the non-modularity doesn't bother me much because I'm able to tuck the non-used cables above the PSU. :)

General Crespin said:
I've got a 600W PowerStream powering my X2 4400+/7800 GTX/other stuff, no problems. :)

I've got a Lian Li PC-71, so the non-modularity doesn't bother me much because I'm able to tuck the non-used cables above the PSU. :)
Very true. Say you've got a mobo with 3 power connectors, a video card or two, at least two drives but probably more...once you hook all that up you'd have had to plug in all the modular cables anyway. Modular is nice but cable management (which i'm awful at) is way more important. Definately not worth the downgrade in quality within the OCZ line if that's what you've decided on.

Just bought the OCZ Modstream 520. No problems so far. Very quiet and looks awesome...but like it was said earlier that really does not matter!

I have the modstream 450w. The only thing I don't like about it is that the cables are stiff, especially the big thick mobo connector. It's hard to bend them for cable management purposes.

Besides that it seems stable considering I have one of the more power hungry motherboards.

I like OCZ power supplies. They work pretty well for me.

Modstream cables are super stiff. The reason they are made like that is so when you unconnect them from the motherboard, they're designed to whip back, hit you in the eye, and cost you money from the eye surgery, which OCZ has a partnership with the hospital, so they get some money, which they will use to create a spaceship where all the execs will go into space, and laugh at us.

Or because the plastic is stiff.

which one is better?
Powerstream 520w SLI vs Game xstream 600W SLI
single rain vs quad rail...
both are almost same priced

importpsycho said:
which one is better?
Powerstream 520w SLI vs Game xstream 600W SLI
single rain vs quad rail...
both are almost same priced

For what system?

I was debateing the same two power supplys and went with the gamextreme 600w simply because it had more connectors and i have a ton of harddrives, not sure which is the better PSU though.

Rix2357 said:
I don't know about you, but I think the heatsinks in the Game Extreme look really really wimpy.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/OCZ_GXS_700W_PSU/

Isn't this power supply supposed to be made by Fortron? I had always thought that Fortron made pretty quality power supplies.

The efficiency is very high; it doesnt generate a lot of waste heat so it doesnt need big heat sinks. This psu is very good, one of the few that can run oced crossfire, athlon x2 systems.

Of the PSUs I own(ed) the 520 W Powerstream is clearly best.

It is the only PSU that powered all the rigs I had. Other PSUs I have/had include PCP&C 1 KW, Zippy 700W, Athena 850W, various Seasonics, FSP-built Zalman.

Of course the 520 W are just not enough, but if the question is "how do you rate OCZ quality" I put them right on top.

Just got an gameXstream 700W, not fiddled with it too much yet.

OCZ Powerstreams seemed to have a high DOA rate (mine included) but once they run for a few days they seem to be unkillable. I also never heard of a Powerstream taking down other components.

Let's do the math....

Assume 85% efficiency which is probably as high as it will get. So 15% is lost due to heat.

A Crossfire computer system will probably draw 300 watts probably measured at the outlet. I'm not sure and it really doesn't matter too much. 15% of 300 watts is 45 watts of heat. That's a lot of heat to dissipate for a metal bar that hasn't even been modified to increase the surface area and make it a better heatsink.

It's 340w on the +12v rail, at load. That's 28a on the +12 alone, adding to hard drives, optical drives, lasers, watercooling, etc.

Bbq said:
It's 340w on the +12v rail, at load. That's 28a on the +12 alone, adding to hard drives, optical drives, lasers, watercooling, etc.
I was including motherboard, HDs, optical drives, etc. in the figure. I'm not that bad at arithmetic. :p

Back