OCZ powerlead EMI filter cable any good?

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
has anyone tried the OCZ powerlead EMI filter cable with their video cards and noticed greater stability or overclocks? it's on sale right now, just wondering if I should pick one up.

Allright W1zzard!

If the cables do anything at all, could you dissect one and see if there is some sort or capacitor inside to smooth out voltage ripples or if its just a shielded cable and ferrite of some sort. I'm interested in the technology behind them and if they work as advertised or are just gimmicky.

ZenOps said:
Allright W1zzard!

If the cables do anything at all, could you dissect one and see if there is some sort or capacitor inside to smooth out voltage ripples or if its just a shielded cable and ferrite of some sort. I'm interested in the technology behind them and if they work as advertised or are just gimmicky.

Same here. Seems more like a gimmick to me, but I'm always open minded.

Summoner said:
Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.50Ghz
Thermalright 948 w/panaflo H12 92mm fan
2 x 512MB PC4000 Crucial Ballistix @ 500mhz 2.5-3-3-8
PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 420 / 1150
Bullshit marketting right there in your system, son.

ZenOps said:
Allright W1zzard!

I too was actually a little interrested in the idea. If there is a cap and it smoothes out the voltages, it might actually be a nice little piece of hardware.

Technical Specifications:
+5v improved from 40.8mV to 21.6mV
+12V improved from 40.8mV to 21.6mV

Whatever that means, I have 2 of these on my 6800 ultra, why - I don't know, sounded good at the time.

it's a capacitor + shielding .. inside pics promised .. after hooking it up to an oscilloscope :)

I doubt you could even measure the difference in current with conventional multimeters.Then again, it probably doesn't matter anyway :)

thats why i'll be using an oscilloscope .. cant measure ripple with a multimeter

I thought you wanted to see the difference in current loss due to resistance? The alternating frequency that's being fed into the power supply matters even less, almost anything will work for the transformer that's in there. And once it's through the transformer, no choice there.

current loss? resistance? not noticeable a cable with a certain length has a certain resistance .. no matter what you do .. i will try to measure different resistance is there is any

I think he's picking on you for using DDR rates in your sig. Like 1150 on the GT and DDR500. Makes no difference to me just pointing it out. I do find it funny when people try to PR there own athlons. Some are a bit generous, especially since later xp's were already pretty generously rated. Uhm yeah.... later. :)

Summoner said:
Special cables arent worth the money, its just BS marketing.

It's like the whole "Monster Cable" thing. You can buy the exact same cables in a hardware store for half the cost and without all the added gimmicks. :rolleyes:

OCZ is a good company I'm sure it does something good for your power. Just probably wont make much of a difference. Conclusion - On a high end PSU like there awesome powerstream series I'll certainly take it. Sounds like from this thread you can buy aftermarket cabling :confused: Probably not worth it. Especially not as an extender on existing cables.

texuspete00 said:
OCZ is a good company I'm sure it does something good for your power. Just probably wont make much of a difference. Conclusion - On a high end PSU like there awesome powerstream series I'll certainly take it. Sounds like from this thread you can buy aftermarket cabling :confused: Probably not worth it. Especially not as an extender on existing cables.

OCZ Started out as a shit company that couldn't deliver on primises. I'm suprised they're still around really.

texuspete00 said:
I'm sure it does something good for your power
Don't be so naive brother...just because someone says their cables will do something for you doesn't mean that they will. I would like to see some sites test this stuff out before judgement is made. And if it doesn't make much of a difference at all then what's it good for? :(

texuspete00 said:
I think he's picking on you for using DDR rates in your sig. Like 1150 on the GT and DDR500. Makes no difference to me just pointing it out. I do find it funny when people try to PR there own athlons. Some are a bit generous, especially since later xp's were already pretty generously rated. Uhm yeah.... later. :)

Thats the speed its running at. Default clock on a 3500+ is 2.2Ghz, mine is overclocked to 2.5Ghz. Theres no comparison made towards Intel products, they arent relevant to me. Stock on the GT is 1000 and again, mine is oced to 1150.

*shrug* still dont get his point. If he was trying to point out that an A64 3500+ is somehow not comparable to a P4 he is right, its far better :p

texuspete00 said:

OCZ has always been questionable. Their ram has been decent recently, but I haven't seen any REAL reviews on their PSU's, so the jury is still out on them.

W1zzard said:
current loss? resistance? not noticeable a cable with a certain length has a certain resistance .. no matter what you do .. i will try to measure different resistance is there is any
I was saying the difference in resistance between a normal cable and the super happy ultra powerful cable should be so minimal, you won't notice a thing on your multimeter. You finally learned to read between the lines? ;)

I doubt it'll have much of an impact. For better power start at the source, the cables are the least of your worries.

lopoetve said:
OCZ has always been questionable. Their ram has been decent recently, but I haven't seen any REAL reviews on their PSU's, so the jury is still out on them.
OK...

iddqd said:
I was saying the difference in resistance between a normal cable and the super happy ultra powerful cable should be so minimal, you won't notice a thing on your multimeter. You finally learned to read between the lines? ;)

ocz is not claiming less resistance but less ripple voltage which is a different thing and is measureable

Why not just solder a nice fat electrolyic cap to the power pins of your videocard? It's very common in voltage mods to add some more capacitance to improve the filtering, wouldn't hurt any to put one on the input line as well. A 1000uF 25V cap would do nicely and cost less than a buck fitty.

EDIT: A couple turns of the power lead on a ferrite core goes a long way in choking some AC currents on it as well.

Back